History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fergushill and Adjoining Stables

A Grade II Listed Building in Kirklinton Middle, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9871 / 54°59'13"N

Longitude: -2.8993 / 2°53'57"W

OS Eastings: 342548

OS Northings: 566206

OS Grid: NY425662

Mapcode National: GBR 8B6S.31

Mapcode Global: WH7ZJ.FXL5

Entry Name: Fergushill and Adjoining Stables

Listing Date: 16 January 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087590

English Heritage Legacy ID: 77933

Location: Kirklinton Middle, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA6

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Kirklinton Middle

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kirklinton St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Kirklinton

Listing Text

NY 46 NW KIRKLINTON ----------

3/134 Fergushill and
adjoining stables

II

House. C18 cottage enlarged 1823, 1832 and post 1841, for John Yule, Land
Steward to the Grahams of Netherby. Hammer dressed red sandstone with later
extensions partly of brick; graduated and rounded top-slates of green and Welsh
slate, with lead hips, decorative bargeboards, ashlar double cylinderical
chimney stacks with lozenge and twisted rope decoration. Single-storey 3-bay
extension to original single storey cottage is shown on estate plan of 1823,
further extended and dated on raised stone carved shield 1832. Projecting gable
to garden front, of 1½ storeys, has round headed mullioned bay window of 3
lights with glazing bars and lead hipped roof; pointed dormer with hood mould.
Projecting eaves sweep down and are supported by arcade of pitch pine columns on
3 sides; pointed wooden arches between join eaves with slender wooden rails.
Eaves porch to left has Gothic 4-panel door. Extension to left of 2-storeys,
was originally partly single storey and altered after 1841. Two 2-storey
projecting bay windows have hood moulds to ground floor with patterned and
diamond paned casements; upper floor dormer windows have plain stone surrounds
and single-pane sashes. Interior of 1832 has carved stone Gothic fireplaces,
Gothic panelled doors, panelled window shutters. Principal room has moulded
plaster cornice, carved wooden pelmet and vertical sliding panelled shutter to
side window. Listing includes former stables of 1832, with interior wooden
stalls of Gothic design. Owner sympathetically restoring building to its 1841
condition (1983).


Listing NGR: NY4254866206

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.