This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9453 / 54°56'43"N
Longitude: -3.0025 / 3°0'9"W
OS Eastings: 335880
OS Northings: 561643
OS Grid: NY358616
Mapcode National: GBR 7CG8.R1
Mapcode Global: WH7ZN.VYDQ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 1 April 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087594
English Heritage Legacy ID: 77941
Location: Rockcliffe, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA6
Civil Parish: Rockcliffe
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Rockcliffe St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 36 SE
Church of St Mary
Church. 1848, by James Stewart of Carlisle, replacing medieval church, tower rebuilt 1900 after being struck by lightning in 1899. Snecked calciferous sandstone with chamfered plinth, angle buttresses, string courses, decorated cornice; graduated green slate roof with coped gable, with cross finials and kneelers. South-west 3 storey porch/tower, 3 bay nave with north transept, single bay chancel. Tower has pointed arch entrance with moulded surround.Pointed lancets have tracery heads and hood moulds; recessed mullioned panels above. Broach spire with high lucarnes and weather vane. Nave has pointed lancets with tracery heads and hood moulds. Similar windows to chancel. East and west windows have stained glass of 1849 by John Scott of Carlisle.
Listing NGR: NY3588061643
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings