This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9164 / 52°54'59"N
Longitude: -1.3158 / 1°18'56"W
OS Eastings: 446101
OS Northings: 335663
OS Grid: SK461356
Mapcode National: GBR 7GL.458
Mapcode Global: WHDGW.RYLL
Entry Name: Churchyard Walls, Gates and War Memorial to South of All Saints Church
Listing Date: 10 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087954
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82274
Location: Risley, Erewash, Derbyshire, DE72
Civil Parish: Risley
Built-Up Area: Sandiacre
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Risley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
PARISH OF RISLEY DERBY ROAD
SK 46 NE
2/88 (North Side)
Churchyard Walls, Gates
10.11.67 and War Memorial to S
of All Saints Church
Churchyard walls, gates and war memorial. 1707 with later
repairs and c1920. Red brick walls, partly with patterns of
vitrified headers, and sandstone dressings; war memorial in
stone. Plain square brick gate piers, approximately 10 feet
high with moulded stone cornices, each of which has a short
stone pedestal over with a ball finial on a moulded base to top.
The eastern gate pier has an inset stone just below the cornice
dated '1707'. Between the piers is a scrolled lantern arch with
central lantern, and below are a pairof C20 wooden gates.
Attached to the outer side of each pier is a ramped outward
curving wall with a chamfered plinth, rounded stone copings and
lozenge patterns in vitrifed headers. Attached to the ends are
lower brick walls with similar copings which encircle the
churchyard, these walls also have small abutments at regular
intervals. Set against the curve of the western wall is the war
memorial which has a moulded square plinth with a deep base
above inscribed with memorials for the victims of the first and
second World Wars. Over this is a tapering square pier, with
inset panel to east, inscribed in raised numerals, to base,
'1914-1918'. The top is finished with a simple moulded cornice.
Listing NGR: SK4610135663
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings