This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.93 / 51°55'48"N
Longitude: -1.7222 / 1°43'19"W
OS Eastings: 419196
OS Northings: 225758
OS Grid: SP191257
Mapcode National: GBR 4PW.WZQ
Mapcode Global: VHBZ5.3RDB
Entry Name: The King's Arms Hotel, with Camilla
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Last Amended: 29 April 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1088796
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126413
Location: Stow-on-the-Wold, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Stow-on-the-Wold
Built-Up Area: Stow-on-the-Wold
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Stow-on-the Wold St Edward
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
5224 THE SQUARE
The King's Arms Hotel,
(formerly listed as
King's Arms Hotel and
premises adjoining to south)
SP 1925 NW 2/27 25.8.60
Two distinct builds.
[Left hand, with Camilla]
Early C17. Coursed rubble with Cotswold stone roof. Three storeys, 2 bays with
large gable to each. The ground floor has a modern small-paned 'period' shop front.
The first floor has two 4-light stone mullion and transom casement windows with drip
moulds, the second floor 3-light similar. Gables with verges, small finials and
blind oeuil de boeuf.
Right hand Apparently one build with the same roof-line, but of 2 quite different
visual characters. Early C17, apparently refaced on the right-hand half in circa 1700.
Three storeys, 4 bays. The left hand 2 bays have stone mullion and transom casements,
3-light paired on the ground and first floors, 2-light above, all with drip moulds.
Gables with finials and blind oeuil de boeuf, the gables smaller than the first
section. The 2 right hand bays could perhaps have been altered from 3 gabled ones.
The ground floor has a modern 3-light stone mullioned casement with drip mould flanked
by a plain doorway and a carriageway with timber lintel. The first floor has 3-light
wood mullion and transom flush casements with leaded lights, 2-light on the second
floor. Modillion eaves cornice. Tall ashlar stack with weathering. The south gable
has the same finial as the others.
The inn has a confused history. It was flourishing by 1666 and may be older.
Charles I is supposed to have stayed in 1645, and Robert Haley who stayed in 1708 says
it was founded in 1548. It had the reputation in the C18 of being the best inn
between London and Worcester (VCH).
Interior: paired 6-panel doors on the first floor to upper reception rooms which both
have bolection fireplaces. One flight of heavy circa 1700 balusters survives to first
Listing NGR: SP1919625757
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings