This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9299 / 51°55'47"N
Longitude: -1.7226 / 1°43'21"W
OS Eastings: 419171
OS Northings: 225748
OS Grid: SP191257
Mapcode National: GBR 4PW.WVW
Mapcode Global: VHBZ5.3R6D
Entry Name: The Cross
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1088780
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126381
Location: Stow-on-the-Wold, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Stow-on-the-Wold
Built-Up Area: Stow-on-the-Wold
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Stow-on-the Wold St Edward
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
5224 THE SQUARE
SP 1925 NW 2/31 25.8.60
Late mediaeval, restored 1878, to commemorate Stow's fresh-water supply. Tall
chamfered shaft on large plinth, 2 steps and wide base. Gabled head stone, representing
the crucifixion to south, Abbot of Evesham, Robert de Jumieges, receiving a charter
from King William II constituting Stow a Market Town. Figure on west side is
Robert Chester, a C15 local merchant and benefactor, and figure on east is
Joseph Chamberlayne - Chamberlayne, the Lord of the Manor who paid for the town's
fresh-water supply. Capped by a foliate cross and formerly surmounted by a gas-lamp.
Tablet on plinth describes restoration.
Listing NGR: SP1917125748
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings