This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6912 / 51°41'28"N
Longitude: -2.1945 / 2°11'40"W
OS Eastings: 386652
OS Northings: 199180
OS Grid: ST866991
Mapcode National: GBR 1N5.XPG
Mapcode Global: VH954.XR7C
Entry Name: Blender Shed and Store at Longford's Mill
Listing Date: 21 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1088860
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128281
Location: Avening, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Avening
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Avening Holy Cross
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 89 NE AVENING -
3/5 Blender shed and store at
Part of Longford's Mill, now used as blender shed and store,
formerly one of main woollen mill buildings housing spinning and
weaving, partly in Minchinhampton C.P. Dated 1858 with initials WP
to left of main entrance. Large L-shape with main block in coursed
and dressed Cotswold stone with double range slate roof containing
continuous rows of rooflights, square ventilation louvre on front
range in centre and tall industrial chimney to left on rear range.
2 storeys. 12 windows in 6 pairs of 8 panes with centre 2 on top
as ventilator, under segmental arches with stone voussoirs. Ground
floor windows similar but with extra row of 4 panes below making
them larger. Sill bands below both rows of windows. Entrance
between pairs 4 and 5 on right with gantry and large door above
also. Interior: supported on 3 rows of cast-iron columns, about
3.5m high. Smaller wing of L to east has roof of 4 gables with all
north facing angles composed of continuous row of skylights. Rest
of roof in slate, building single storey in rubble stone and brick.
Gables are carried on continuous lengthwise timber beams with only
one cast-iron column in centre of each beam as additional support.
The site has had a mill for many years, and one building older than
this one survives to the north, in Minchinhampton C.P.
Listing NGR: ST8665599180
Other nearby listed buildings