History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Mill Building at Longfords Mills

A Grade II* Listed Building in Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6915 / 51°41'29"N

Longitude: -2.1943 / 2°11'39"W

OS Eastings: 386667

OS Northings: 199211

OS Grid: ST866992

Mapcode National: GBR 1N5.XQN

Mapcode Global: VH954.XRB5

Plus Code: 9C3VMRR4+H7

Entry Name: Old Mill Building at Longfords Mills

Listing Date: 24 March 1988

Last Amended: 26 February 1992

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1305339

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132960

Location: Minchinhampton, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Minchinhampton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Minchinhampton with Box

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in


In the entry for:-


7/167 Old Mill building at Longfords
Mills (Buildings nos 2, 5, 7 and 9)


The entry shall be amended to read:


7/167 Old Mill building at Longfords
Mills (Building No 2)


Mill building. Early/mid C18 (shown on 1766 map), altered 1828.
Coursed and roughly dressed limestone; gabled stone slate roof.
Rectangular 10-bay plan. Four storeys. West side; 9-window
fenestration, all 3-light with flat mullions and many with original
leaded iron casements; ground floor obscured by later extensions.
Two datestones, one of 1703 and the other of 1828. North gable has
3 large 4-light casements, upper one with fixed leaded lights. East
elevation has similar 9-window fenestration; timber lintel over
double doors; 2 probably early C19 segmental arches to former wheel
pit on left (south); segmental relieving arch above timber lintel
over tall (2-storey) blocked arch on right. Iron overbridge (dated
WP 1865) is carried over public road into upper floor of Building 13
(q.v.) to north west.
Interior: two water wheels to south end were removed, together with
first floor, in order to accommodate machinery including Bellis and
Morcom steam engine of 1904 and Gordon water turbine of c1915. Timber
beams throughout have marks made by driveshafts and mortices with peg
holes. Vent openings beneath window seats, with sliding shutter and
grille to vent opening onto early C19 quarter-turn winder stair to
north west. 10-bay collar-truss roof with trenched purlins and
diagonally-set ridge purlin; split rafters and torched soffits. The
site has been in use since the C14 for cloth making. The mill was
leased from Thomas Pinfold by Thomas Playne in 1759, being continually
occupied by the Playnes for woollen manufacture until it was vacated
in June 1990. A map of 1766 showing land belonging to John Pinfold
shows a complex of buildings around the lower mill site, in which
Building 2 is shown as a fulling, grist and gigmill. An early C20
photograph shows dormer windows on east side of roof. The RCHM
suggests that the mill building was used for manufacturing not
warehousing, which would make it comparable in scale to later examples
in Gloucestershire and elsewhere in the country. The 1766 plan shows
a mill leat passing by the south end of the building, the location and
stonework of the two wheel arches in the rear wall suggesting that
they may have been a later insertion; the upper storeys were probably
originally hand-powered, the finishing of cloth being its most likely
function. N.M. Herbert, "Minchinhampton", in V.C.H. Glos xi, 1976,
pp 184-207; and J. Tann, Gloucestershire Woollen Mills, 1967; RCHM
report 1991.



7/167 Old Mill building at Longfords
Mills (Building Nos 2, 5, 7 and 9)


Mill building with attached ancillary wing. Late C18. Coursed
rubble limestone; stone and Welsh slate roofs. Four-storey main
block with attached 3-storey block forming L-plan. West side: 9-
window fenestration, all 3-light with flat mullions, many with
original leaded iron casements. Ground floor obscured by later
outbuilding which is not of special interest. Two datestones, one
1703, other 1828. Larger casements providing north light in gable
end. East side: fenestration as to west, bay to right having
timber lintel and relieving arch of former throughway, now
infilled. Segmental arches to ground floor with glazed infill,
this now well below level of present access roads. Similar flat-
mullioned 2 and 3-light mullioned casements to secondary block -
many blocked. Attached parallel-roofed outbuilding on north side
has taller lean-to outbuilding at west end. Iron overbridge (dated
WP 1865) is carried over public road into upper floor of block to
north west (This block is not of special interest). Interior not
inspected. This is one of the clothing mills recorded on an 1813
map. Later building (q.v.) adjoins to south.
(N.M. Herbert, 'Minchinhampton' in V.C.H. Glos xi, 1976, pp 184-
207; and J. Tann, Gloucestershire Woollen Mills, 1967)

Listing NGR: ST8666799211

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.