History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade I Listed Building in Chedworth, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8077 / 51°48'27"N

Longitude: -1.9264 / 1°55'35"W

OS Eastings: 405169

OS Northings: 212125

OS Grid: SP051121

Mapcode National: GBR 3PT.RR7

Mapcode Global: VHB25.KTFK

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 26 January 1961

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090247

English Heritage Legacy ID: 131072

Location: Chedworth, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Chedworth

Built-Up Area: Chedworth

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Chedworth St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SP 0512
10/46 Church of St Andrew


Anglican parish church. Late C12, C13, C15, nave north aisle
rebuilt 1883 by Waller. Nave: ashlar. Chancel, north aisle and
south porch: limestone rubble. Tower: limestone rubble with
squared and finely dressed clasping buttresses. Plan: nave with
projecting south porch and north aisle: chancel,with vestry on the
north; west tower. Nave south wall (reputed to have been built at
the expense of the Neville family), inscription dated 1461
commemorating Richard Sely (probably the Neville's bailiff) on the
buttress to the right of the porch: plinth with moulded capping;
five fine tall 3-light Perpendicular windows (two curtailed by the
porch gable); buttresses with offsets and moulded copings;
projecting multi-angular stair turret (dated 1485) to rood loft
with decorative pierced stone ventilation panel; large painted
sundial with metal gnomon above; moulded cornice with small carved
faces and bats; stone slab roof rising up to an engaged finial.
Double studded C19 door within porch with a 4-centred arched
surround (dated 1491 on the right-hand jamb) with carved spandrels
with shields and foliate decoration all within a rectangular
casement-moulded surround behind a rere-arch with pierced
spandrels. Image niche with flat-chamfered basket-headed surround
above the door. Battlemented parapet with crocketed pinnacle at the
south-east corner and string with large gargoyles (including a
frog). C13 chancel with roll-moulded corbels on the north and
south. C14 pointed 2-light window to the right with plate tracery
and scroll-moulded hood; narrow C19 plank door with decorative
hinges within a flat-chamfered round-headed surround between the
two windows. Three-light Perpendicular east window with scroll-
moulded hood with scrolled stops and a relieving arch. Partly
blocked lancet window on the north side of the chancel. Flat-
roofed C19 vestry to the right with plank priest's door with
decorative hinges within a Tudor-arched surround with carved
spandrels with thistle flower decoration. North wall of C19 north
aisle; side buttresses with offsets; three 3-light stone-
mullioned windows with tracery, within rectangular surrounds. Late
C12 tower with C15 fourth stage; narrow early studded plank west
door with an early thumb latch and lock, within a restored round-
headed surround; strings between stages; C12 belfry windows (now
blocked) to the third stage, two retaining their central square-
sectioned mullions and semi-circular lintels and hoods; pointed
single-light belfry windows with stone slate louvres to the fourth
stage. C19 clock above the south belfry window. Battlemented
parapet with string with gargoyles. C13/14 gabled porch with
double-chamfered arched entrance (the inner arch spring from
moulded corbels) and stopped hood. Flagged floor. Late C18-early
C19 roof with braced collar. Freestanding rectangular block of
limestone (c30 x 40cm) with two small rectangular niches (the lower
with a pierced hole at the rear) on wooden bench within porch;
single flower and cross motif to the right of and cut by the upper
niche. Church roof; stepped coped gables; upright and roll-cross
finials at the gable ends.
Plastered interior with 5-bay nave; 7-bay north aisle; 2 bay
chancel. Late C12 three-bay nave arcade with cruciform piers with
corner shafts and bigger semi-circular responds to the arch
openings and scalloped capitals. The wall above the arcade was
raised in the C15 to correspond with the south wall. Late C12
depressed semi-circular tower arch of 3 orders. Early English
chancel arch with stiff leaf capitals. C19 pointed arch from the
north aisle to the organ chamber and from the organ chamber to the
chancel. Early panelled wagon roof resting on carved head and
heraldic stone corbels to chancel. C15 moulded and cambered tie
beams supported on brackets from C15 carved head corbels to nave
(panelling replaced C19 or early C20). C19 arch-braced roof
trusses with wind-bracing to vestry. Flagged floor to the nave;
encaustic tile to chancel. C13 trefoil-headed piscina with roll-
moulded surround in the south wall of the chance. Small 4-centred
arched headed piscina in the nave south wall. Flat-chamfered
Tudor-arched doorway giving access to the rood loft now blocked by
a fine C15 octagonal stone pulpit with blind tracery, crocketing
and engaged pinnacles. C12 limestone tub font inside the south
door with blind arcading. Niche containing the figure of the
Madonna and child by Helen Rock c1911 in the north wall of the
north aisle. C20 pews and choir stalls. C18 wooden lectern with
barley-twist column and caryatid figures at the bottom. Monuments:
marble monument to John and Elizabeth Ballinger, died 1789 and 1788
respectively, erected by Charles Ballinger of Chalford, clothier.
Marble monument to Anne Eliza wife of Revd Cornelius Pitt, curate,
died 1825 and the Revd Cornelius Pitt, died 1840, by Emmanuel
Bridges of Chedworth. Monuments at the base of tower: two C18
monuments on the west wall, one to Thomas Rogers, died 1742 and
other members of that family with faded inscription and cartouche-
like surround with 3 cherub heads, formerly with 3 ball finials at
the top. Oval memorial to Revd James Rawes, former Vicar, with.
pink marble inlay and ribbon tie at the top. Benefaction board
below outlining a benefaction by Charles Ballinger, dated 1798.
Monument to John, son of Thomas Rogers and Dennis, his wife, died
1724 on the north wall with a cartouche-like surround with single
cherub's head at the top, formerly with a single ball finial.
Monument to George Nelson, former curate, died 1811 on the south
wall; limestone with a rectangular stone plaque with a raised
surround. Stained glass: C15 stained glass on the partly blocked
lancet window in the north wall of the chancel depicting 'the man
in the moon', Tudor roses, stars and a crown; fragments of similar
glass reset in the base of one of the south chancel windows. C19
stained glass in the remaining chancel windows.
(V.C.H. Glos. Vol VII, p173; and David Verey, The Buildings of
England: The Cotswolds)

Listing NGR: SP0516812121

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.