This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8076 / 51°48'27"N
Longitude: -1.9264 / 1°55'35"W
OS Eastings: 405171
OS Northings: 212113
OS Grid: SP051121
Mapcode National: GBR 3PT.RR9
Mapcode Global: VHB25.KTGM
Entry Name: Group of 4 Monuments in the Churchyard of the Church of St Andrew Up to 4 Metres East of Porch
Listing Date: 12 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152140
English Heritage Legacy ID: 131077
Location: Chedworth, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Chedworth
Built-Up Area: Chedworth
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Chedworth St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
CHEDWORTH CHEDWORTH VILLAGE
10/51 Group of 4 monuments in the
churchyard of the Church of St
Andrew up to 4m east of porch
Four chest tombs. Limestone. From the west:-
a) Unidentified. Early C18. Moulded plinth. Rectangular
inscription plaque on the south with moulded margin flanked by
a winged figure of time standing on a wheel with a scythe in
one hand and a skeleton (death). Inscription plaque on the
north (probably unused) draped with a swag and flanked by two
figures holding open books. Face of another figure above with
a scroll in each hand. Lyre-shaped ends with foliate
scrollwork. Open bible and cherub's head at the west end,
heraldic shield at the east end. Capping with moulded margin.
b) Tomb c0.75m south-east of the preceding monument, to Joseph
Peachey, died 1737; inscription to Robert Robins died 1779 and
Mary his wife, died 1799 and other members of that family on
the south. Flat-chamfered plinth. Fielded inscription plaques
on the north and south with fielded marginal panels. Sunken
inscription plaques with a moulded margin.
c) John Radway monument c3m to the north of the preceding
monument. Late C18. Raised base. Moulded plinth to tomb.
Double inscription plaque on the south with partially legible
inscriptions, fluted marginal panels. Unused oval inscription
panels at either end. Capping with moulded margin and hipped
and moulded upper capping stone.
d) Francis Radway monument immediately south-east of the preceding
monument. Late C18. Raised standing with moulded plinth.
Double inscription plaques on the north and south sides, bound
bay leaf stile dividing the inscriptions. Marginal panels with
stylized foliate decoration on the south side. Fluted marginal
panels on the north. Oval inscription plaques at either end
with an inscription at the north end. Capping with moulded
margin and hipped and moulded upper capping.
Listing NGR: SP0517112113
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings