This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7312 / 51°43'52"N
Longitude: -2.2748 / 2°16'29"W
OS Eastings: 381117
OS Northings: 203643
OS Grid: SO811036
Mapcode National: GBR 0LC.FP0
Mapcode Global: VH94X.JR87
Entry Name: The Rectory and Rectory Lodge
Listing Date: 13 February 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1090753
English Heritage Legacy ID: 131882
Location: King's Stanley, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL10
Civil Parish: King's Stanley
Built-Up Area: Stroud
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Kings Stanley
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 8103 KING'S STANLEY CHURCH STREET
13/8 The Rectory and Rectory Lodge
Former large rectory house, now 2 houses. Late C14; largely c1720
for Thomas Morgan; altered and enlarged 1858 by Richard Reynolds
Rowe of Cambridge for John Gibson. Coursed and dressed limestone;
ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof, plain tile to turret. Long 2-
storey range with attic; 3-storey north cross-wing. East front:
main range of 3 parapet gables to left, left gable being late C14
with some C19 rebuilding and C19 pointed-arched doorway, small
square-headed opening to left; off-centre ogee-headed upper floor
lancet, attic slit vent. C19 upper floor oriel to middle gable has
mullioned and transomed windows with tracery panels below; large
shaped stone support brackets and lead hipped roof; hooded upper
floor cross window to right; central C18 attic 2-light. Right
gable is slightly recessed with C19 cross window fenestration to
ground and upper floors; doorway to right; central C18 attic 2-
light. Ridge-mounted chimney with moulded cap at either end of
central section. Mullioned and transomed bay window with hipped
coped roof in angle with north wing. Large parapet gable to north
wing with mullioned windows having hoods; 2 ground floor cross
windows with linked hood. North end: scattered 2-light and cross
windows all with hoods; central attic dormer linked to eaves-
mounted chimney. West side: parapet gable of late C14 house to
right with upper floor single-light. Central gable has C19 timber
oriel to upper floor with irontwist-enriched corner posts and
slender irontwist post supporting internal segmental rere-arches;
two 12-pane sashes with timber lintels below. Fenestration to left
is C19 matching front elevation. Gable end of north wing projects
forward with octagonal attic turret on square base to right of
gable having single leaded light to each face and sprocketed
conical roof with iron weathervane. Hipped-roofed C19 porch in
angle to right of wing with gabled porch hood on timber brackets.
South end: doorway with chamfered opening. Two-light mullioned
and transomed upper floor window with ogee trefoil tracery heads.
Interior of south wing has heavy studded plank door in pointed-
arched upper floor doorway. Roof structure of main range dates
from 1720 alterations. Entrance hall has fireplace with large C19
hood having arms of the See of Gloucester, the parish church (St.
George) and Jesus College Cambridge (the patron). Much C19
linenfold panelling with matching doors. Various other C19
features including piscina in cloakroom. Forms part of group with
dovecote to north and former oven house to south (q.v.).
(N.M. Herbert, 'King's Stanley' in V.C.H. Glos. x, 1972, pp 242-
257; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SO8111703643
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings