This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9897 / 51°59'22"N
Longitude: -1.9124 / 1°54'44"W
OS Eastings: 406113
OS Northings: 232361
OS Grid: SP061323
Mapcode National: GBR 3MQ.9B0
Mapcode Global: VHB1D.S8V1
Entry Name: Gatehouse, Stanway House
Listing Date: 4 June 1970
Last Amended: 7 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091812
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134909
Location: Stanway, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Stanway
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Toddington, Stanway and Didbrook and Hailes
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
STANWAY STANWAY VILLAGE
13/123 Gatehouse, Stanway House
4.7.60 (formerly listed as part of
Stanway House and Gatehouse)
Gatehouse. About 1630, possibly by Timothy Strong of Barrington,
for Sir Richard Tracy: minor alterations c1700. Ashlar walls,
stone slate roof. Three-storey gatehouse. To road: carriage
archway with double doors, rising through two floors, moulded
framing to tall panels, strapwork carving over; 4-centred arch,
moulded surround and capitals, scroll keystone, plain spandrels.
Either side fluted Roman Doric columns, on high bases with
strapwork decoration; pilasters matching arch outside columns.
Above, frieze with alternating roses and diamonds between
triglyphs, broken segmental pediment over, shell finials at foot.
Pediment frames eared rectangular panel with coat of arms (last
added c1700), with triangular pediment above. Each side of
archway plinth, canted bay rising through 3 floors, each with 3-
light, ovolo-moulded mullion window, hoodmould extended as string
course. Bays with openwork parapet, and lead chute. Above 3
shaped gables, shell finials, repeated at an angle on corners of
building. 'T' plan gable chimneys, moulded caps. Either side,
within archway a semi-circular niche, plain impost blocks, moulded
surround to semi-circular head.
Interior: 2 spiral stairways, turning in opposite ways, stone
fireplaces with 4-centred arches. Forms group with House,
courtyard and garden walls and church (q.v.).
(J. A. Gotch, Early Renaissance Architecture in England, 1901; D.
Verey, Gloucestershire, the Cotswolds, 1970; Lord Neidpath,
Stanway House, 1984; T. Mowl and B. Earnshaw, Trumpet at a Distant
Listing NGR: SP0610232361
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings