This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9897 / 51°59'22"N
Longitude: -1.9129 / 1°54'46"W
OS Eastings: 406074
OS Northings: 232365
OS Grid: SP060323
Mapcode National: GBR 3MQ.95M
Mapcode Global: VHB1D.S8K1
Plus Code: 9C3WX3QP+VR
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 4 July 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1154342
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134903
Location: Stanway, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Stanway
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Toddington, Stanway and Didbrook and Hailes
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
STANWAY STANWAY VILLAGE
13/117 Church of St Peter
Parish Church. C12, C13, C15, C17, C18, restored 1896, minor
alterations early C20. Well squared, coursed stone, except tower
base, coursed rubble with ashlar dressings; stone slate roof.
Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. South facade: 3-stage
tower, plinth, square-set buttress to left, lowest stage only,
lancet, wide buttress on right; moulded string course, paired
lancets over, offset, 2-light louvred window, hoodmould, string
with corner gargoyles, crenellated parapet, crocketed corner
finials, central weathervane. Nave: plinth; porch with angled
buttresses, arched opening, moulded surround, hoodmould: ogee-
headed window above; shelf with statue, fleur-de-lys hood;
parapet gable, cross-gablet apex, floriate cross. To right, 2-
light and 3-light Perpendicular windows, flat heads, hoodmoulds;
sundial (1797) over left, without gnomon, sunk panel over right;
carved chamfer to part corner, projecting stone eaves course.
Parapet gables, cross on apex. Chancel slightly set back; two 2-
light Perpendicular windows, arched heads, hoodmoulds, with between
a boarded door, Tudor arch, carved spandrels, hoodmould.
Grotesques over, carrying arched, corbelled eaves: parapet gable,
cross on apex. East elevation, 3-light window with curved
tracery, nearly semi-circular head, circular stops to hoodmould.
North elevation: 2-light window as south side; 2-light with semi-
circular heads to lights, sunk spandrels, hoodmould; eaves as
south. Horizontal string course to east return of nave; corner
as south. Three 2-light Perpendicular windows; oversailing
eaves. Tower as south side. West elevation, square-set
buttresses to lowest stage: boarded door, Tudor arch, sunk
spandrels, hoodmould; lancet above, string course, above as south
facade but with circular opening between paired lancets, head from
single stone. Interior: stone walls, tiled floor to nave. Low
arch to tower, moulded C13 capitals and bases; Norman lancet over,
deep reveals. Chancel arch with moulded capitals to responds.
Collar truss with king post over, 2 pairs purlins. Chancel,
respond on north with cushion capital; carved arris to priest's
door; aumbry. C19 collar rafter roof with straight braces. C17
wooden, wine-glass pulpit, panelled sides, bobbins below top rail.
Small, octagonal stone font, quatrefoils carved on cardinal sides;
stone stem below, up 3 stone steps. War memorial lettering in
chancel windows by Eric Gill. East window C17 type tracery, said
to be C18; gallery removed 1896. Details removed during
extensive restoraton in 1896 reset in churchyard wall (q.v.).
(V.C.H., Gloucestershire, VI, 1965; D. Verey, Gloucestershire,
the Cotswolds, 1970; Cotswold Churches, 1976)
Listing NGR: SP0607232365
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings