This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.99 / 51°59'23"N
Longitude: -1.9124 / 1°54'44"W
OS Eastings: 406109
OS Northings: 232397
OS Grid: SP061323
Mapcode National: GBR 3MQ.98T
Mapcode Global: VHB1D.S7TT
Plus Code: 9C3WX3QQ+X2
Entry Name: Wall and Gates to Entrance Courtyard, Stanway House
Listing Date: 7 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303822
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134910
Location: Stanway, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Stanway
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Toddington, Stanway and Didbrook and Hailes
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
STANWAY STANWAY VILLAGE
13/124 Wall and gates to entrance
courtyard, Stanway House
Wall and gates. Probably c1630. Ashlar stone. 'L' plan wall,
round 2 sides courtyard, from gatehouse (q.v.) to house (q.v.);
gateway in centre of each side. Wall about 2.75m high, with
ridged stone coping in 2 courses, roll ridge: wall steps up each
side of gateways, coping returned up vertical face of step.
Gateway opposite door to house: double doors up 2 stone steps,
doors with applied ribs, fluted fan top, semi-circular head.
Projecting, rusticated quoins each side, voussoirs stepped on outer
face, large keystone. Moulded string course and cornice to raised
wall over: broken scrolled pediment framing rusticated pier,
moulded top, shell finial: shell finials at foot of pediment.
Gateway opposite gatehouse: wide archway, 4-centred arch;
rusticated piers each side, plain impost blocks, rusticated
spandrels, large keystone. Scrolled, broken pediment framing
centre block with semi-circular recess, plain impost block running
round back of niche, moulded surround to semi-circular head.
Moulded top, shell finial over, and to feet of pediment. Either
side archway similar niches to that in pediment, but larger.
Apparently built with gatehouse: may be by Timothy Strong. One
gate leads to churchyard.
(Sir R. Atkyns, The Ancient and Present State of Gloucestershire,
1712; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Cotswolds, 1970.
Listing NGR: SP0610232398
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings