This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.251 / 51°15'3"N
Longitude: -0.7776 / 0°46'39"W
OS Eastings: 485407
OS Northings: 150918
OS Grid: SU854509
Mapcode National: GBR D9R.G77
Mapcode Global: VHDXW.GTRB
Entry Name: Gateway and Two Flanking Guardrooms to Former Willems Barracks
Listing Date: 9 June 1982
Last Amended: 4 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1092631
English Heritage Legacy ID: 137846
Location: Rushmoor, Hampshire, GU11
Electoral Ward/Division: Wellington
Built-Up Area: Aldershot
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Aldershot St Michael the Archangel
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 85 SE
Gateway and 2 flanking
guardrooms to former
Guard rooms and gateway to cavalry barracks; disused. Dated 1856. Yellow stock brick with Portland stone and rubbed brick dressings, and slate roof Sinffic-depth plan guardrooms on opposite sides of paved area, connected by entrance gate. EXTERIOR: single-storey 5-bay guardrooms with 2-window street gables. 2 pairs of square piers with plinths and stone caps with shallow brackets, with mid C20 metal gates, and outer flat-headed wickets within segmental-arches containing stone panels, that to the left with VP, in raised letters surrounded by oak leaves over WEST CAVALRY BARRACKS, and to the right a similar panel inscribed ERECTED 1856. Short walls connect piers with the guardrooms, which have outer pilasters as the piers to coped gables, over rusticated segmental arched sunken panels containing 2 small seginental-arched 4/4-pane sashes. Opposite gables have brick dentil cornice, 3 sunken panels and a lunette. Inner sides of guardroorm have three 6/6-pane sashes, and panelled doors either side of the inner window, with a cast-iron verandah of 6 elliptical arches on thin octagonal posts xvith open spandrels. Rear of paved area closed by late C20 walls and railings. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORY: formed the entrance to the west or Willems Cavalry Barracks (demolished), a pair with the entrance to the Beaumont Barracks (qv). This was a wholly new concept in barracks planning, part of one of the original three permanent cavalry barracks built as the Wellington Lines at Aldershot. (Childerhouse T: Military Aldershot, the first fifty years: London: 1990-).
Listing NGR: SU8494650853
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings