This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2493 / 51°14'57"N
Longitude: -0.7798 / 0°46'47"W
OS Eastings: 485258
OS Northings: 150726
OS Grid: SU852507
Mapcode National: GBR D9R.MNZ
Mapcode Global: VHDXW.FVLM
Entry Name: Gateway and Two Flanking Guardrooms to Former Beaumont Cavalry Barracks
Listing Date: 19 December 1980
Last Amended: 4 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303279
English Heritage Legacy ID: 137845
Location: Rushmoor, Hampshire, GU11
Electoral Ward/Division: Rowhill
Built-Up Area: Aldershot
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Aldershot St Michael the Archangel
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 85 SE
(South East side)
Gateway and 2 flanking
Guardrooms to former
Beaumont Cavalry Barracks
Pair of guardrooms and gateway to cavalry barracks; disused. 1856. Yellow stock brick with Portland stone and rubbed brick dressings, and slate roof Single-depth plan guardrooms on opposite sides of paved area, connected by entrance gate. EXTERIOR: single-storey 5-bay guardrooms with 2-window street gables. 2 pairs of square piers with plinths and stone caps with shallow brackets, square lamps on cast-iron moulded shafts to inner piers, with mid C20 metal gates, and outer flat-headed wickets within segmental-arches containing stone panels, that to the left with VP, in raised letters surrounded by oak leaves over SOUTH CAVALRY BARRACKS, and similar panel to the right inscribed ERECTED 1856. Short walls connect piers with the guardrooms, which have outer pilasters as the piers to coped gables, over rusticated segmental arched sunken panels containing 2 small segmental-arched 4/4-pane sashes. Opposite gables have brick dentil cornice, 3 sunken panels and a lunette. Inner sides of Guardrooms have three 6/6-pane sashes, and panelled doors either side of the inner window, with a cast-iron verandah of 6 elliptical arches on thin octagonal posts with open spandrels. Rear of paved area closed by late C20 walls and railings. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORY: with the Beaumont Riding School (qv), the last surviving part of the Beaumont or South Cavalry Barracks. This was a wholly new concept in barracks planning, one of three original permanent cavalry barracks built at the Wellington Lines in Aldershot. (Childerhouse T: Military Aldershot, the first fifty years: London: 1990-).
Listing NGR: SU8494650853
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings