This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2461 / 51°14'46"N
Longitude: -1.2004 / 1°12'1"W
OS Eastings: 455910
OS Northings: 149966
OS Grid: SU559499
Mapcode National: GBR 956.WW8
Mapcode Global: VHD06.4YS2
Entry Name: Oakley Hall
Listing Date: 17 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1092908
English Heritage Legacy ID: 138822
Location: Deane, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG23
Civil Parish: Deane
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Deane All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 54 NE OAKLEY AND DEANE
1795, remodelled 1860. A square 3-storeyed mansion of the first date, with later minor
additions but with an extensive range of ancilliary buildings on its west side of the
second date. The entrance (north) front has 3.3.3 windows, the sides being
semi-circular. Ripped tile roof, stucco balustrade above a bold modillion cornice.
Walling in red brickwork, Flemish bond in the flat centrepiece header bond to the
curved walls, rubbed flat arches with flush deep stone keystones, stone cill band to
the second floor, thin stone cill band above a wider band to the first-floor (with sunk
panels beneath the openings) stone cill band to the ground-floor, and brick plinth.
Sashes in reveals (original on the first and ground-floor of the east side bow). The
doorway is a porte-cochere (of 1860) in fine white stone, in the form of a Roman arcade
with detached Ionic columns in front of pilasters, all being fully-moulded and with a
balustraded parapet; the square made by the 3 arches is linked to the house by narrower
arches, enclosing a flight of 4 steps towards double doors, within an architrave. The
east elevation is a regular 7-bays of the same treatment, with a simple 1/2-glazed door
below a fanlight, at the fifth-bay. The garden (south) front is also symmetrical, but
the flat sides contain a window of standard width flanked by narrower lights; and a
central simple angular brick porch (1860) of slight projection. The complex range of
ancilliary buildings extend from the west side, and begin as 2-storeyed elevations of
similar form, but with brick dentil eaves to the tile roofing. This block ends in a
tall water-tower, with a pyramid roof, brick dentil eaves, bands, and coupled blind
arcades in the upper part. Further west the buildings continue at a lower level, with
gabled 1/2-dormer windows, to link with the north-east corner of the stable block.
Listing NGR: SU5758250862
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings