This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.878 / 50°52'40"N
Longitude: -1.2957 / 1°17'44"W
OS Eastings: 449644
OS Northings: 108963
OS Grid: SU496089
Mapcode National: GBR 886.WRS
Mapcode Global: FRA 865S.90G
Plus Code: 9C2WVPH3+6P
Entry Name: Brooklands
Listing Date: 22 October 1976
Last Amended: 20 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1093503
English Heritage Legacy ID: 141448
Location: Fareham, Hampshire, SO31
Electoral Ward/Division: Sarisbury
Built-Up Area: Locks Heath/Warsash/Whiteley
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Sarisbury St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
(south west side)
SU 40 NE Sarisbury
Large house. Built for Sir Thomas Williams (later Admiral) by Nash. c1800
with service wing addition of 1807 to north west, with 2-bay addition over
porch of 1858 by Langdon of the Isle of Wight when the house acquired a more
Italianate appearance and small extension to south east by Sir Edwin Lutyens
in 1916. Partly red brick, partly stuccoed, partly painted brick with slate
roof and brick chimneystacks. 2 to 3 storeys, irregular plan. Paired bracket
eaves cornice and unusual band between the 2nd and 3rd floors. Entrance on
west front is stuccoed with 2-bay addition over porch with incised lines to
ground floor. Mainly 6-pane sashes to 2nd floor and 12-pane sashes to 1st
floor, but ground floor has Doric portico flanked by round-headed side lights.
The south west corner has a curved bow through all 3 floors with a conical
roof and panels above 1st floor window. Loggia of 10 Doric columns on the
ground floor (by Langdon replacing an earlier verandah) follows the curve of
the bow. South front is of 2-storeys, 4 windows in red brick with cemented
architraves to 1st floor windows. East front is fairly irregular with 6
windows, mainly 12 paned sashes. Attached to the south wing is Lutyens porch
which comprises a 5-light mullioned and transomed casement with brick
relieving arches and doorcase breaking through,5-light mullioned and transomed
window. North front is the service wing of 1807 and has 4 cambered sashes
including 2 tripartite sashes on the ground floor. Fine c1800 staircase with
cast iron balusters, stone treads and mahogany handrail. Dado panelling.
Dining room has c1800 cornice of carved oak leaves and vine and grape
decoration with masks and fine painted ceiling with fabulous birds and
crossed flageolets. Dado rail and 2 overmantels with ovolo moulding and
surrounds with beading. Drawing room has a most unusual cornice with ivy
entwining Neptune's trident (a subtle reference to Admiral Williams), 2 sea
horses and a band of shells beneath and ceiling rose of the same pattern.
Panelled wall with 6 panelled door and wooden fireplace with modified Ionic
capitals and urn and foliage pilasters and marble inner surround. Library has
cornice with plumed capitals and a mid C19 marble fireplace with anthemion and
foliage decoration. The Drawing Room was lined in limed oak by Sir Basil
Ionides in 1916 when Lutyens added the porch. First floor has in Jane
Austen's bedroom (Sir Thomas Williams first wife was her cousin) a marble fire
surround with reeding and paterae and an iron firegrate with reeded frame
lions head marking and curved firebasket. Plumed cornice and 6-panelled door.
The principal bedroom has a cornice of nymphs holding wreaths and wheat ear
and harebell motifs. Fireplace is marble with anthemion motifs and reeded
pilasters. An adjoining bedroom to the south west has a marble fireplace and
coved cornice. Another bedroom has a wooden fireplace with shell and foilage
frieze and brackets with harebell origins. The first floor has 2 interesting
bathrooms of 1916 installed by Sir Basil Ionides. The yellow bathroom retains
the original sanitary fittings and yellow tiles with signs of the zodiac made
by a member of the Bloomsbury Group. There is a bathroom with marble basin
and bath. The 2nd floor has a room with a wooden fireplace with firegrate and
a bathroom with handmade fish decorated tiles and original fittings designed
by Sir Hugh Casson in the 1930s.
Jane Austen and A A Milne stayed at Brooklands frequently and Gertrude Jekyll
laid out the grounds.
(South West Side)
SU 40 NE 27/418
Early C19. Stuccoed facade. Originally 2 storeys, the 3rd storey added in the
mid C19. 4 windows facing south, 8 windows facing west. The south front bowed
on all floors with a conical roof. Venetian shutters to the 1st floor windows
and a loggia of 10 Doric columns on the ground floor following the curve of the
Interior of South Brooklands has some panelling, a room with C19 cornice and ceiling
and a marble fireplace with Ionic columns.
[Brooklnads, South Brooklands, and Gazebo form a group.
Listing NGR: SU5413107124
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings