This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0464 / 51°2'47"N
Longitude: -1.1315 / 1°7'53"W
OS Eastings: 460982
OS Northings: 127811
OS Grid: SU609278
Mapcode National: GBR 97T.8RR
Mapcode Global: FRA 86JC.11G
Entry Name: Church of St Simon and St Jude
Listing Date: 5 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1095117
English Heritage Legacy ID: 145352
Location: Bramdean and Hinton Ampner, Winchester, Hampshire, SO24
Civil Parish: Bramdean and Hinton Ampner
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Bramdean St Simon and St Jude
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 62 NW BRAMDEAN CHURCH LANE
6/7 Church of St Simon and
Parish Church. Late C12, restored mid C19 and later S transept added. Rubble
flint, rendered, stone dressings, old plain tile roof. Circa 1170 nave and chancel,
but chancel restored and S wall of nave lost, C19 N porch, S transept with SE
vestry, and bell turret at W end of nave roof. Chancel restored 1863 and given
E window of 3 lancets under enclosing arch. Side walls have 2 C12 plain short
lancets. Nave has late C12 N door with round arch of square order with hollow
chamfered abaci and small chamfer on jambs. Door old with strap hinges and
wooden lock case. Both in C19 gabled timber sided porch. To E is large 2-light
window with quatrefoil in head and lancet high on wall, and to W perpendicular
2-light window, all C19 or reworked then. To E of porch 'tablets' 1721 to
Joan Bright and 1814 to William Perry, and part of medieval coffin lid. W wall
has C15 square headed window of 3 cinquefoiled lights and in gable plain lancet.
On S wall, just W of transept high on wall remains of 2-light round headed
window. Weatherboarded bell turret with short shingled spire at W end of nave
roof. Large wide S transept. Inside chancel all rear arches and roof c1863, and
probably all fittings except for C17 altar table. Brass 1639 to Mary Travers and
monuments; 1763 to Elizabeth Durnford, 1808 to Rev. William Gomm and wife.
Chancel arch C12 transitional style is pointed of 2 orders with slight chamfers.
Capitals have waterleaf moulding to N and recut scrolled leafwork to S. Nook
shafts to W and half round shafts on jambs with spreading moulded bases.
Monument 1836 to Elizabeth Gomm by James Kellow. Tablets 1800 to Sarah Hodges
and 1826 to Christopher Hodges. Nave roof C16, plastered and bell turret rests
partly on W wall and partly on W tie beam. Benefactors board 1766 Venables
family in vestry. VCH; 1908; Vol 3; p 49-50. 'Buildings of England'; N Pevsner;
Penguin; 1966; p 135.
Listing NGR: SU6091327838
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings