This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8407 / 52°50'26"N
Longitude: -2.039 / 2°2'20"W
OS Eastings: 397467
OS Northings: 327017
OS Grid: SJ974270
Mapcode National: GBR 27S.TKH
Mapcode Global: WHBDN.NV7N
Plus Code: 9C4VRXR6+79
Entry Name: Abbeylands
Listing Date: 25 November 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096029
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489919
Location: Weston, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST18
Civil Parish: Weston
Built-Up Area: Weston
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Weston-upon-Trent St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
603/0/10041 STAFFORD ROAD
Vicarage, now house. 1858, by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Coursed and dressed sandstone with ashlar dressings; plain tile roofs, with stone-coped gables; stone stacks. 2-storey, in a Jacobean Revival style with label moulds over stone-mullioned windows and the whole being asymmetrically composed with grouped gables and string coursing to main block. WEST elevation has battlemented oriel window with foliate corbels to first-floor left, with 3-light window to right at first floor above a 2-light Middle Pointed Gothic window adjoining the gabled porch set in the angle of the advanced wing to its right, which has tall stone chimney stack to right side. Further to right, a lower service range with 2-light first-floor window set in large gabled dormers, and advanced wing at south end with 4-light window to first floor of gable and tall lateral chimneystack. NORTH elevation has 2 battlemented ground-floor bay windows, rectangular and with parapet to left and canted with hipped roof to right. Above these, 3-light lancet windows to first floor, and similar but shorter windows to attic, that to right within large gable and to left within large dormer, a tall ridge chimneystack to the right of each of these. EAST elevation has 3 gables to main block, that to right advanced with single storey conservatory flush in front of left 2 gables. The end gables have expressed chimney breasts with tall stacks, the cenre gable has 4-light window to first floor and 2-light to attic. Conservatory has arched brace truss roof structure with trefoil cut outs to spandrels. To left, lower service range stacks similar elevation to rear (south) service range with 2-storey gable facing to left.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: Scott added the N aisle to St Andrew's Church (q.v.) in 1860. This house is an impressive example of the work of one of the major Victorian architects, unusually conforming to a Jacobean Revival style but the influence of Gothic Revival clearly displayed in its assured handling and compositional mass.
David Cole, The Work of Sir Gilbert Scott, London: The Architectural Press (London, 1980), p. 226.
N. Pevsner. Staffordshire volume, 1974.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings