This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0635 / 55°3'48"N
Longitude: -1.4603 / 1°27'37"W
OS Eastings: 434566
OS Northings: 574468
OS Grid: NZ345744
Mapcode National: GBR L97W.NP
Mapcode Global: WHD4C.JZTM
Entry Name: Chapel and Crematorium at Whitley Bay Cemetery
Listing Date: 9 May 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096121
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490087
Location: North Tyneside, NE26
County: North Tyneside
Electoral Ward/Division: St Mary's
Built-Up Area: Whitley Bay
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Monkseaton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
1022/0/10040 THE LINKS
09-MAY-03 Chapel and Crematorium at Whitley Bay
Cemetery chapel and crematorium. Designed by Edward Cratney of Newcastle. 1913 with C20 alterations. Coursed blue/grey granite with ashlar dressings. Westmorland slate roofs with coped gables and kneelers.
The main chapel has projecting tower with large double-canted arched doorway with moulded ashlar surround and elaborate oak double doors. Tower has angle buttresses and 3 louvred and flat-headed bell-openings to each face. Above a deep parapet with chamfered coping and single raised merlons at each corner. Tower is topped by octagon spire clad in copper sheeting with a tall finial. Entrance to tower flanked by single storey, flat-headed wings each with a pair of double-canted arched windows with moulded surrounds.
Entrance to crematorium to right with similar double-canted archway. Side facade has three tall lancet windows with double-canted arched heads. Either side are cast iron drainpipes with elaborate lead rainwater heads inscribed 1913. Tall crematorium chimney extended late C20.
INTERIOR of cemetery chapel has very fine quality Arts & Crafts style plaster decoration carried out by G P Bankart and similar style wooden fittings carried out by J P Bertram & Sons. Plaster decoration includes over-doors to main entrances on either side both with flanking angels in shallow relief holding banner inscribed "Watch for ye know not the hour" and "The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh". Deeply moulded plaster cornice decorated with vines and grapes. Curved arched ceiling with rectangular panels divided by moulded plaster bands, the central section linking the flanking doors has pairs of angels and thicker and more elaborate bands decorated with lilies and peacocks. This more elaborate decoration continues over the ritual east end of the chapel. Dado panelling and wooden pews with rounded carved pew ends.
G P Bankart (1866-1929) was one of the leading plasterers of the early twentieth century. He carried out much of the plasterwork on Cardiff City Hall and Law Courts by Lanchester, Stewart & Rickards. He was a prominent member of the Arts Worker's Guild who wrote important books on the subject; 'The Art of the Plasterer in England' (1908) and with his son G E Bankart 'Modern Plasterwork Construction' (1926) and 'Modern Plasterwork Design' (1927).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings