This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4424 / 53°26'32"N
Longitude: -2.2811 / 2°16'51"W
OS Eastings: 381425
OS Northings: 393994
OS Grid: SJ814939
Mapcode National: GBR D8X.SZ
Mapcode Global: WH98H.XQYV
Entry Name: Lloyd and Platts Hotel
Listing Date: 3 April 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096127
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490093
Location: Manchester, M21
Electoral Ward/Division: Chorlton
Built-Up Area: Manchester
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Chorlton-cum-Hardy St Clement
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
698-1/0/11184 WILBRAHAM ROAD
Lloyd and Platts Hotel
Public House with integral sports verandah, and attached clubhouse formerly, hotel and public house. c.1870 with later C19 or early C20 additions, and late C20 alterations and additions. Believed to have been designed by E.J.Thompson of Manchester for George Lloyd and James Platt. Smooth red brick with ashlar sandstone dressings, side wall chimney stacks and slate roof coverings.
PLAN: Irregular plan, with earlier rectangular part occupying a corner plot between Wilbraham Road and Whitelow Road, (formerly Manchester Road), and with attached extension block to rear, facing onto the associated crown bowling green.
EXTERIOR: Whitelow Road elevation 2 storeys, 5 bays, the earlier 3 bay range to the left, with central doorway approached by flight of 4 steps with low flanking walls. Doorway with double doors and wide rectangular overlight set below flat canopy supported by massive ashlar corbelled brackets. The canopy extends to the left to form a shallow balcony for the upper floor windows; a single light opening above the doorway, and a tripartite opening to the right. To the left of the doorway, a full height semi-circular bay window, with ashlar lintel and cill bands, and a wider ashlar band below the upper floor windows with relief lettering which reads 'LLOYD AND PLATTS HOTEL'. Right-hand end bay with tripartite window to ground floor and 3-light dormer window with half-hipped roof. Sash window frames without glazing bars throughout. Deep eaves brackets of moulded brick and ashlar sandstone. Lower range to right with 2 tall upper floor sash windows flanking a projecting trncated chimney stack.
Wilbraham Road elevation of 3 bays, with full height canted bay window to left, central doorway with panelled door below a bracketed flat canopy and further right, stacked sash windows flanking a projecting chimney stack. At its base, a carved ashlar plaque bearing the coat of arms of the Lloyd family.
Bowling Green (south) elevation: Main 3-bay range with arcaded ground floor with cast-iron columns supporting upper floor. This has a central oriel window with lead covered canopy set below a shallow gable with boarded apex. Flanking the oriel are paired sash windows, all below a shallow dentilled eaves. To the right, a late C20 external stair leads into the altered and extended side elevation. To the left, an attached single storey clubhouse with hipped slated roof, central door and flanking sash windows.
INTERIOR: Ground floor remodelled in the late C20, upper floor and extension less modified.
HISTORY: The building was designed as a public house and hotel with associated recreational facilities, including tennis courts and a crown bowling green. The extensions to the south were designed specifically to provide a covered terrace or pavilion for spectators, enlarging the earlier original covered accommodation.
A hotel and public house of c.1870 specifically designed to provide facilities for recreational usage in connection with an immediately adjacent crown bowling green, and further developed to enhance and enlarge that facility. It represents an early manifestation of purpose-built spectator facilities for sporting events associated with public houses, a concept that saw much wider expression in the brewery-financed roadhouses of the inter-War period.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings