This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6166 / 51°36'59"N
Longitude: -0.3161 / 0°18'58"W
OS Eastings: 516678
OS Northings: 192208
OS Grid: TQ166922
Mapcode National: GBR 6V.WG9
Mapcode Global: VHGQ9.GMQK
Entry Name: Lodge
Listing Date: 3 March 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096147
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490112
Location: Harrow, London, HA7
Electoral Ward/Division: Stanmore Park
Built-Up Area: Harrow
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St John the Evangelist Great Stanmore
Church of England Diocese: London
1157/0/10060 UXBRIDGE ROAD
Churchyard Lodge. 1881 by Brightwen Binyon. Red brick plinth, half-timbered with terracotta and rough-cast infilling, tiled roof with fish-scale decoration. One storey. Irregular rectangular plan.
EXTERIOR: entrance front: projecting gabled centre with five-light bay window with decorative glass in the upper lights. Gable with ornamental barge boards, with moulded panel at apex with armorial crest and the motto VINCIT QUI SE VINCIT. Panels of moulded terra cotta to wall surface. Four light window to left with rough-cast coving above. Entrance porch to right beneath catslide roof, with triple arched opening to road side of turned posts. North, street front: gable to right with triple window, half-timbered gable. Panel over central window inscribed 'ERECTED IN LOVING MEMORY OF ROBERT HOLLAND BY ELLEN JULIA HIS WIDOW 1881 B. Binyon architect'. Tall central chimneystack. Terracotta cresting to roof ridges. To south, a red brick range connected by a gateway leading into a small yard.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: Binyon, an Ipswich-based architect, exhibited at the Royal Academy between 1887 and 1895, and was responsible for works to Stanmore Hall, formerly Robert Hollond's home. Hollond was a sometime MP and renowned as a baloonist. The original purpose of this lodge is unclear: it is thought to have housed the parish clerk. Listed as a fine example of a highly picturesque essay in the Arts and Crafts Revivalist style.
Other nearby listed buildings