This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2413 / 52°14'28"N
Longitude: 0.7132 / 0°42'47"E
OS Eastings: 585344
OS Northings: 263818
OS Grid: TL853638
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.F4R
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.9XXN
Entry Name: St Marys House
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096773
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467784
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8563NW WHITING STREET
639-1/15/713 (West side)
St Mary's House
House. Late C18/early C19. Timber-framed and rendered; slate
roof with a moulded eaves cornice.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and cellars. 3 16-pane sash windows in
flush cased frames to the 1st storey and 2 tripartite sash
windows to the ground storey, the central window 12-pane, the
2 smaller side windows 8-pane. A central 6-panel entrance
door, up 4 steps with cast-iron wreathed handrails, is
recessed in a plain segmental-arched surround. The fanlight
has radiating glazing-bars and is supported by plain columns.
A C19 2-storey rear wing has been reduced in length.
INTERIOR: the house was used by several wine and spirit
merchants during the C19 and has very extensive cellars,
flint-walled and brick vaulted. Part of the brick is Tudor,
but most C19. On the ground storey, a very fine Adam style
fireplace surround in the room to the right of the entry and a
similar but simpler surround with fluted half-columns in the
At the rear of the entrance hall a good winder stair with
bracketed open strings, stick balusters and wreathed handrail.
Panelled reveals and internal shutters to the windows. Rate
book entries relating to this site are said to go back to 1759
but the present house seems to be a rebuilding of c1790.
Listing NGR: TL8534463818
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings