History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bank Barn About 50 Metres East of Chipley Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Bickington, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5367 / 50°32'12"N

Longitude: -3.6792 / 3°40'45"W

OS Eastings: 281096

OS Northings: 72114

OS Grid: SX810721

Mapcode National: GBR QM.LNGD

Mapcode Global: FRA 375N.4FH

Entry Name: Bank Barn About 50 Metres East of Chipley Manor

Listing Date: 3 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1097145

English Heritage Legacy ID: 85202

Location: Bickington, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Bickington

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Ashburton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Woodland

Listing Text

BICKINGTON
SX 87 SW
8/4
- Bank Barn about 50 metres
east of Chipley Manor

GV II

Bank barn with shippon underneath, built into the hillside east of the farmhouse,
on the opposite side of the road. Erected 1827 (datestone). Stone rubble with
dressings of squared stone. Low-pitched slated roof with clay ridge-tiles, hipped
at each end. 2 storeys. East front has in ground storey 4 wide segmental-arched
openings to shippon. Above are 2 doorways to barn, placed to correspond roughly
with the outer piers between the openings below. Just under the eaves, centrally
placed, is a tablet of oolitic limestone carved with the inscription: 'This barn
was built at the expense of Mr W French in the year of 1827. H Bickley, mason. J
Candish, carpenter'. The west front, where the barn floor is at ground level, has
2 wide segmental-arched openings, the left-hand opening cut away a little at the
base. The right-hand opening is flanked by 2 windows filled with concrete block.
On the right-hand side of it is the remnant of a horse-engine house; the curved
right-hand wall survives, bat the left-hand wall has been removed and replaced with
a pier of concrete block, while the roof has been replaced with a corrugated
asbestos lean-to. On the left side of the frontage is an added single-storey
structure of stone rubble with a lean-to roof of corrugated iron. Barn has scissor-
braced roof.


Listing NGR: SX8109672114

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.