This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5074 / 50°30'26"N
Longitude: -3.6132 / 3°36'47"W
OS Eastings: 285703
OS Northings: 68753
OS Grid: SX857687
Mapcode National: GBR QR.7FCD
Mapcode Global: FRA 37BQ.66F
Plus Code: 9C2RG94P+XP
Entry Name: Church House
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097318
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84727
Location: Abbotskerswell, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12
Civil Parish: Abbotskerswell
Built-Up Area: Abbotskerswell
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Abbotskerswell The Blessed Virgin Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 86 NE ABBOTSKERSWELL MAIN STREET
3/23 Church House
Church house used as village hall. Mid C16 restored in 1913-14. Limestone rubble
walls and gable ended slate roof on chamfered stone cornice. 3 rubble stacks; the
left-hand gable stack is corbelled and the right-hand gable stack projects.
Projecting lateral stack at front.
Probably 2 room plan originally from positions of stacks - one larger room heated by
lateral stack and smaller room heated by gable stack. Newel stairs in larger room
on opposite wall to fireplace. Probably one room on first floor heated by corbelled
gable end stack. Access by external stone staircase at rear as well as newel stairs
on the same wall.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4 window front of 2, 3 and 4 light early C20 wooden
mullions with 4 centred arched heads and 'leaded' panes. Wooden lintels. Wall
projects slightly towards right-hand end and on the ground floor there is original
heavy round-headed chamfered wooden doorframe. To its left is a similar early C20
fascimile doorway which is narrorwer. The chimney projects to left of centre. C19
outshut against right gable end.
Interior: Good quality beamed ceiling to ground floor rooms of chamfered cross
beams with hollow step stops and similarly decorated joists. Some beams rest on
chamfered wood corbels. Half beam at right-hand gable end appears to have pyramid
stops. Fireplaces are blocked. The roof timbers date from the early C20
restoration and consists of common rafters exposed upto collar height and chamfered.
Original square-headed wooden doorframe to newel stairs survives on first floor,
chamfered with masons's mitres. Stone newel stairs.
Documentary evidence relates that on 24th November 1542 the Abbot of Sherbourne gave
to "our parish Church of Kerswell Abbot" a parcel of land on which is built the
Despite the C20 restoration, this church house remains virtually unaltered in form,
preserving some good quality internal features, with more possibly concealed, and is
a good example of its kind occupying a very prominent position in the village
Source Devon Sites and Monuments Register.
Listing NGR: SX8570368753
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings