History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Court Farm Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Abbotskerswell, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5072 / 50°30'25"N

Longitude: -3.6143 / 3°36'51"W

OS Eastings: 285623

OS Northings: 68728

OS Grid: SX856687

Mapcode National: GBR QR.7F2P

Mapcode Global: FRA 379Q.CQZ

Entry Name: Court Farm Inn

Listing Date: 23 August 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1097355

English Heritage Legacy ID: 84713

Location: Abbotskerswell, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Abbotskerswell

Built-Up Area: Abbotskerswell

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Abbotskerswell The Blessed Virgin Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Abbotskerswell

Listing Text

SX 86 NE ABBOTSKERSWELL ABBOTSKERSWELL
3/9 Court Farm Inn
-
23.8.55
GV II
Inn, formerly farmhouse. C17 extended probably in 1721 by James Tuckett. Altered in
C20. Sandstone/limestone rubble walls with half-hipped slate roof. Rendered
rubble axial stack to right of centre and rendered brick axial stack towards right
end, originally gable end stack. Small rendered lateral stack at front towards
left-hand end. At the rear on that end are 2 brick chimney shafts set in from the
eaves.
Originally 3 room and through-passage plan, lower room to the right, with hall stack
backing onto the passage and lower room heated by gable end stack. Newel stairs in
projection at rear of hall. According to plaque on front of porch the house was
"rebuilt" in 1721, as well as the porch this probably refers to the 1 room extension
at either end of the house. C19 barn extension at left-hand end. Altered in C20
when converted to an inn.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical 7 window front with 2 storeyed gabled porch to right of
centre. All windows are C20 3-light casements with small panes and wooden lintels,
probably in C18 openings. Window to porch is 2-light. Between the two right-hand
windows on the ground floor is a C20 part-glazed door, with a C19 panelled door to
the far right. Above the window on the porch is a stone plaque reading "This house
was rebuilt by James Tuckett the Elder, Anno Dom 1721". The porch has a rubble
roundheaded arch. Inside the porch is a C17 square-headed ovolo-moulded oak
doorframe to the former passage with a contemporary panelled oak door. At the rear
is a rectangular stair projection to right of centre with C17 3-light ovolo moulded
wood mullion window. There is a similar window to either side of the projection on
the first floor and on the ground floor to the left of it.
Interior: modernised open fireplace to hall. At rear of hall leading to stair
projection is C17 chamfered wood door-frame with depressed 4-centred arch.


Listing NGR: SX8562368728

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.