This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5917 / 50°35'29"N
Longitude: -3.6759 / 3°40'33"W
OS Eastings: 281472
OS Northings: 78221
OS Grid: SX814782
Mapcode National: GBR QM.H3BK
Mapcode Global: FRA 375H.RRY
Entry Name: Riverside Mill
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Last Amended: 3 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097408
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84531
Location: Bovey Tracey, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Bovey Tracey
Built-Up Area: Bovey Tracey
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bovey Tracey St Peter, St Paul and St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/02/2016
(Formerly listed as Standard Telephone and Cables.
Previously listed as The Old Mill)
Formerly the stables of Bridge House, which is now the Riverside Inn, later used as telephone and cable works. Built 1854. Granite and slatestone rubble with red and yellow brick dressings. Slated roofs with clay ridge-tiles. Built round 4 sides of a courtyard. 2 storeys, except for single-storey north-east range. 8-window south-west front abutting River Bovey, the window at each end set under the gable end of the side-
range. Third bay from right develops into a square tower of 2 storeys with a pyramidal slated roof. At its foot is a large iron water-wheel (rebuilt in 1955), the purpose of which was to draw water up the tower to provide a supply for Bridge House. Windows all have jambs and segmental arches of red brick except for the tower bay which has round-headed windows in second storey and is lower stage of the tower. Upper stage (probably rebuilt) is of yellow brick and has 3 C20 windows in each face; an old photograph shows openings without windows. All the other windows have 2-light wood casements of 8 panes per leaf, except for the 2 round-headed windows which have 3 panes per light; the lower of the latter windows has wood boards in its head, while the upper is glazed with radial bars. The front to Fore Street has a wide segmental-headed cart entrance to left, with jambs and arch of red brick. To right, in second storey, are 2 segmental-headed windows; also with jambs and arches of red brick; each has a 2-light wood casement with 8 panes per light. Interior not inspected. The building is said to have been saved from demolition in the 1950s by public subscription. It forms an important group with Bovey Bridge (q.v.) and Riverside Inn (q.v.).
Sources: L Tregoning, Bovey Tracey, 1983, p.45. Photographs in National Monuments Record, including 1962 cutting from Country Life.
Listing NGR: SX8147278221
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings