This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5945 / 50°35'40"N
Longitude: -3.6756 / 3°40'32"W
OS Eastings: 281494
OS Northings: 78537
OS Grid: SX814785
Mapcode National: GBR QM.GWYB
Mapcode Global: FRA 375H.KTZ
Plus Code: 9C2RH8VF+RP
Entry Name: East Dartmoor Baptist Church
Listing Date: 3 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097425
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84475
Location: Bovey Tracey, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Bovey Tracey
Built-Up Area: Bovey Tracey
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bovey Tracey St Peter, St Paul and St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 8178 BOVEY TRACEY ABBEY ROAD, Bovey Tracey
11/32 East Dartmoor Baptist Church
Baptist Church. Built 1824. Solid walls, probably of stone, covered with
roughcast, except for front wall which is rendered. Slated roof, hipped at rear.
3-window front with 4-window side-walls. In front wall the ground storey projects,
having a flat roof with simple block-crenellated parapet. Front has cornice and
gable in almost pediment form with triangular inset containing a square moulded
plaque inscribed A.D,1824. Windows are doorway are round-headed and set in shallow
round-headed recesses. In the ground storey the recesses are themselves set in
larger round-headed recesses with stucco mask key-blocks. The windows in the 2
outer bays are blind, the centre bay having a pair of 3-panelled doors; all 3
openings have glazed fanlights with radial bars. In front is an area-railing and
gates of cast-iron (included in the listing), each standard having a spear-head with
trefoiled open tracery. In the upper storey the 2 outer windows are blind, the
centre window having original 8-paned sashes, the glazing-bars in the head curved to
match the round arch of the opening. The 4 upper-storey windows in each of the
side-walls are of the same pattern. In the lower storey on each side the windows
are flat-headed with original wood sashes, the lower sashes of 8 panes and the upper
sashes of 4 panes. In the second bay from the right in the left-hand side-wall is a
door with 6 flush panels; above it is a flat wooden hood on shaped brackets.
Interior: has foyer at front with flight of granite steps on each side leading up
to the gallery. Interior of church has galleries on 3 sides; cast-iron Doric
columns with plain shafts support gallery having panelled wood front with Grecian
decoration. In the galleries a complete set of original, plain panelled seats. At
east end a high platform incorporating central pulpit; carved wood in medieval
style with panels of decorative ironwork, probably mid or late C19. Behind it a
large organ, probably of similar date but said to have been brought from a church in
Dawlish; wood casing carved with Gothic detail, painted pipes.
Present Minister say the original support for the church came mainly from workers in
the Bovey Potteries.
White's Directory of Devonshire, 1850, p.470, gives 1823 as the date of building.
Listing NGR: SX8149478537
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings