History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Hall and Garden Railings About 17 Metres South of Church of St Thomas

A Grade II Listed Building in Bovey Tracey, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.595 / 50°35'42"N

Longitude: -3.6673 / 3°40'2"W

OS Eastings: 282089

OS Northings: 78580

OS Grid: SX820785

Mapcode National: GBR QM.GZFN

Mapcode Global: FRA 376H.H3T

Entry Name: Church Hall and Garden Railings About 17 Metres South of Church of St Thomas

Listing Date: 3 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1097434

English Heritage Legacy ID: 84494

Location: Bovey Tracey, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Bovey Tracey

Built-Up Area: Bovey Tracey

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Bovey Tracey St Peter, St Paul and St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Hennock

Listing Text

BOVEY TRACEY BRADLEY ROAD, Bovey Tracey
SX 8278

12/51 Church Hall and Garden Railings
- about 17 metres south of Church
of St Thomas
GV II


Church Hall, described in drawing of 1836 as the 'Sunday School House'. Early C19, with later addition at rear. Granite rubble with granite ashlar quoins, door and window-jambs; red-brick arches to windows. Corrugated-iron roof; seems to have been slated in 1836. Rendered brick chimneystack on the ridge in each gable, a projecting brick-course forming a band below the top of each stack. 1-room plan with added room at rear. 1 storey. Symmetrical 4-window front having gabled entrance-porch in centre with C20 double doors. Windows have slightly curved heads and contain 6-paned sashes with horns to the upper sashes. In the right-hand gable are 2 windows, with slightly curved heads, these containing 2-light wood casements, apparently of 6 panes per light originally, the centre glazing-bar having been removed from the 4 lowest panes. Interior not inspected, but as seen through windows appears featureless. Garden in front of the hall is enclosed by an iron railing of spears above a low granite wall with double gates that closely resemble those shown in the drawing of 1836. Each upright has a diamond-shaped head; the gates have similar uprights, each gate having a long arch-brace with the uprights passing through it. In right-hand front corner of the garden is an old cast-iron gas lamp-standard, converted to
electricity; it is inscribed WILLEY & CO. LTD. EXETER.
Source: Annie Croker drawing of 1836 (Devon Record Office, 2160A add. 14/PZI,
p.10).


Listing NGR: SX8208978580

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.