This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.5953 / 50°35'43"N
Longitude: -3.6675 / 3°40'3"W
OS Eastings: 282072
OS Northings: 78611
OS Grid: SX820786
Mapcode National: GBR QM.GZBZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 376H.H0F
Plus Code: 9C2RH8WJ+4X
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul and St Thomas of Canterbury
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1334077
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84486
Location: Bovey Tracey, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Bovey Tracey
Built-Up Area: Bovey Tracey
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bovey Tracey St Peter, St Paul and St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
Tagged with: Church building
BOVEY TRACEY BRADLEY ROAD, Bovey Tracey
12/43 Church of St Peter and St Paul and
- St Thomas of Canterbury
Parish church. C15 with C14 tower; second north aisle added 1858 under the
"direction" of William Slater. Vestry and boiler house C19. Restored 1858 and 1887-8. Granite and slatestone rubble with granite dressings; most of the window detail is in limestone. Boiler house is of yellow brick. Slated roofs; in 1836 the roof had dormer windows, presumably removed in the 1858 restoration. Nave, chancel, south aisle, 2 north aisles, west tower, south porch; vestry and boiler room at the east end of the north aisles. The south aisle has Perpendicular windows, each of 4 lights, in the south wall; all of them appear to be C19 restorations. The east and west windows are of 3 lights and may be partly original Perpendicular. The north windows of the north aisle are similar to those on the south; the intention in 1858 was to re-use the windows of the medieval north aisle and repair then in Caen stone, but it is not clear how far this was carried out. The east and west windows of the 2 north aisles also appear to be C19 Perpendicular, except for the east window of the medieval north aisle, which seems to be original Perpendicular with 3
cinquefoiled ogee-headed lights, although the lower part has been blocked. The
north and south chancel windows are similar, apparently with original head-tracery. The same is true of the 5-light east window. The south aisle has buttresses flanking the windows and is finished with a crenellated parapet enriched with quatrefoil panels. The medieval north aisle seems to have been similarly treated, since a plain crenellated parapet survives at the east and west ends. Each of the 2 medieval aisles also has a 5-sided, crenellated stair turret at the outer corner of its west end. Chancel and south aisle have clasping buttresses at their east ends. In the south wall is a priest's door, ogee and hollow-moulded with a 2-centred head. South porch has an enriched crenellated parapet with a pinnacle on each outer corner; below each is a gargoyle carved respectively with the arms of Stawell and Forbes. The outer doorway is a C19 restoration, but the inner doorway is medieval, of heavily moulded and enriched limestone with a 2-centred head. Wooden roof of
porch has heavy, intersecting moulded beams with carved bosses at the intersections; in the centre a boss with a cluster of 4 heads. Flanking the top of the inner doorway are 2 moulded limestone corbels; lower down, on the right, is a holy water stoup with ogee head. In the east wall is a plaque with the carved inscription: "The Floor of this Porch new laid, & gate made, Anno Dom 1710'. The present iron gates are C20. The tower is in 3 stages, each stage tapered and slightly narrower than the one below. In the west face of the lowest stage is a round-arched, hollow-moulded granite doorway; it is set high up, presumably as a result of the ground level being altered. Above it is a 3-light granite window with intersecting tracery; this seems to be a complete restoration. The second stage has a slit window at its base on the north, south and west sides, the south window having a pointed head. Above the slits on the south and west sides is a large black clock-face with gilded detail. The third stage (belfry) has 2 tiers of openings in each face. The lower openings are of 2 lightsd with pointed heads, the south and west openings having the lights set under a 2-centred arch. The upper openings have paired, shouldered-head lights, perhaps contemporary with the oversailing battlemented parapet and finials, all of which are C19.
Interior: nave and chancel have unbroken arcades of 5 arches, the piers diamond-
shaped in section with a shaft attached to each point and wave mouldings in between. Capitals foliated with several different designs, the half-columns which lie within the chancel having undercut foliage. 2-centred arches with ogee, wave, quarter-round and hollow mouldings. The 5 arches of the 1858 north arcade are copies of the original work. South door has segmental rear arch, hollow-moulded and enriched with 4-leaved flowers. Chapel at east end of south aisle has trefoil-headed piscina in south wall. Fragment of foliated masonry in south wall of chancel may be the remnant of another piscina. Nave and chancel have a wagon-roof, the older aisles flat roofs with intersecting moulded beams; all 3 roofs have large carved bosses. According to the 1858 contract the roofs were to have been rebuilt, but the bosses may have been re-used. 1858 north aisle has an arch-braced roof. A drawing of 1857 shows the nave roof with a ceilure above the rood screen. Fittings: octagonal Beer stone front, the shaft decorated with trefoil-headed panels, the bowl with quatrefoils; wooden font cover of circa 1660, in the form of an 8-sided pyramid with a large finial on top 5-sided stone pulpit of medieval work, richly carved with foliage trails separating 2-tier panels of niches containing figures; C20 paint may cover ancient colours, base probably C19. Late C15 brass lectern, believed to be East Anglian work; consists of large eagle with wings outstretched, standing on a moulded pillar with 3 small lions at the foot. Eagle's claws restored 1912. C15 timber rood screen across nave and old aisles was restored in 1887, when the missing vaulting was made, and again in 1910. Dado has almost complete set of painted figures in ogee-headed cinquefoil panels (those of the chancel doors late C19 or early C20). Open tracery above of Pevsner's 'Type A'. Trail enrichment of loft
believed to be ancient in part. With the exception of the figures, visible paint is circa 1910, but may conceal some ancient colour. Parclose screens of first half C16 have two ogee-headed cinquefoil lights with doorways at east end and doors of 1907 (inscription). On south side of chancel, against parclose screen, 3 medieval stalls with misericords. At east end of the 1858 aisle an organ with painted pipes, installed in 1887-8.
Monuments: on north side of chancel is the monument to Nicholas Eveleigh (d.1618) in white limestone. Consists of a figure propped up on one elbow; beneath it an
ornately carved chest, above it a high round arch flanked by Corinthian columns.
Immediately above this, figure is a tablet carved with the inscription '1620 1D'.
On south side of chancel is the monument of Elizaeus Hele (d.1636) in alabaster.
Similar in design to Eveleigh's monument, but with less ornate detail; flanking
columns are of grey marble. On front of the chest are the kneeling figures of his son and 2 wives. On the floor of nave and aisles several good C17 ledger slabs.
Sources: church guidebook. N Pevsner, South Devon, pp.55-7; Kelly's Directory of Devonshire, 1897, p.81 Devon Record Office: 1858 building contract (312M/TH405), Croker sketchbooks, 1836 and 1853 (2160A add. 14/PZI, p.8; 2160A add. 14 (PZ3,p.7). Ecclesioiogist, XVI N.S., 1858, p.115. 1857 sketch of the church interior, hanging on west wall of old north aisle. John Stabb, Notes on some Old Devon Churches, 1911.
Listing NGR: SX8207278609
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings