This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6865 / 50°41'11"N
Longitude: -3.2891 / 3°17'20"W
OS Eastings: 309032
OS Northings: 88221
OS Grid: SY090882
Mapcode National: GBR P7.5CD1
Mapcode Global: FRA 4708.6GW
Entry Name: Houghton Farmhouse Including Cob Walls Adjoining North and South
Listing Date: 10 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097500
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86388
Location: Newton Poppleford and Harpford, East Devon, Devon, EX10
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Newton Poppleford and Harpford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Otterton St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
OTTERTON OTTERY ROAD
SY 08 NE
3/187 Houghton Farmhouse including cob
- walls adjoining north and south
Farmhouse. Probably C17, refurbished and extended in 1870 according to a date
plaque. The C17 part is plastered cob on stone rubble footings; has stone rubble
stacks, one disused, the other topped with C19 brick; thatch roof. The 1870 work
is brick with slate roof.
The house faces south. The original part has a 2-room plan with central stair. The
right room has a gable end stack and the left room has a projecting front lateral
stack (now disused). On the left (western) end and set well back from the front is
the C19 1-room plan extension with gable end stack; it is now a self-contained
cottage. C19 outshots across rear of main block.
Main block has regular 2-window front of C20 casements with glazing bars and central
part-glazed door in the centre. At the right end there is a slate-roofed oven
projection and at the left end the projecting stack. The brick extension also has a
2-window front and a doorway near the right end. The windows are C20 casements
without glazing bars and contemporary plank door. Both roofs are gable-ended. The
chimney shaft of the extension has a limestone plaque inscribed with the initials of
Mark Rolle and the date 1870.
Interior not available for inspection at time of survey but apparently little
carpentry detail is exposed and fireplaces are blocked. Left room has a soffit-
chamfered crossbeam and, according to Devon SMR, roof has possible jointed cruck
From the right (eastern) end high plastered cob walls with rubble footings and
corrugated iron coping extend a short distance north and south alongside the road.
Source. Devon SMR.
Listing NGR: SY0903288221
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings