This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.675 / 50°40'29"N
Longitude: -3.2725 / 3°16'21"W
OS Eastings: 310180
OS Northings: 86918
OS Grid: SY101869
Mapcode National: GBR P7.S3W4
Mapcode Global: FRA 4719.6WH
Entry Name: Horstone Farmhouse
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Last Amended: 10 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097504
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86401
Location: Otterton, East Devon, Devon, EX10
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Otterton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Otterton St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
OTTERTON PINN LANE
SY 18 NW
4/200 Horstone Farmhouse (formerly
listed as Pinn Barton)
House, former farmhouse. Late C15 - early C16 with major later C16 and C17
improvements, date plaque of 1587, enlarged in late C19, modernised circa 1960. The
main house is plastered cob on stone rubble footings; extension of local
conglomerate stone rubble with chamfered limestone plinth and its roadside gable end
is of coursed blocks of dressed stone; stone rubble and brick stacks topped with C19
brick and hall has late C16 chimney shaft with Beerstone ashlar quoins; concrete
tile roof (formerly thatch).
L-shaped house. The main block faces south-east and has a 3-room-and-through-
passage plan with the inner room at the right (north-eastern) end. The wide passage
is now blocked by a partition across the middle. The inner room has a gable end
stack, the hall a front projecting lateral stack and the service end room is
unheated. It is small and was probably a dairy. The main stair is probably C19 and
rises from the rear of the passage up the rear of the hall. The C19 crosswing
projects forward from the left end. It has a 2-room plan with central stair and a
gable end stack. C20 outshot on right end of main block. House is 2 storeys.
Main block has an irregular 3-window front of C19 and C20 casements with glazing
bars. The inner room window has been enlarged to a French window with a C20
aluminium-framed conservatory in front. The front passage doorway is at the left
end and contains a C20 glazed door with a flat slate hood in the angle of the wings.
The hall stack has been rebuilt in C19 brick with a fire window on the left side and
slate offsets. Its tall double chimney shaft however is the original; built of
small blocks of grey limestone with Beerstone ashlar quoins and soffit-moulded
coping. It includes a Beerstone plaque inscribed ANO 1587 with initials of Roger
and John Pinn and 3 small incised ornaments. The first floor windows to right of
the stack rise a short distance into the eaves. The roofs of both wings are gable-
ended. C19 and C20 casements with glazing bars to the wing and rear. Front left
corner of C19 wing is propped by C20 buttresses. Stone mounting block on front end
of this wing.
Interior: the oldest feature in the house is the remains of a late C15 - early C16
roof truss over the lower side of the passage. The lower part is boxed into a
partition but is assumed to be some form of cruck construction. The timbers are of
large scantling. It has a cambered collar and although the apex is missing a
section of a square set ridge survives. It and the truss are heavily smoke-
blackened indicating a house open to the roof, heated by an open hearth fire and
probably divided by low partitions. The rest of the roof structure, including the
front wing, was replaced circa 1960.
The partitions either side of the passage are plastered but the front section on the
hall side has been demolished revealing the headbeam of a C16 or C17 oak plank-and-
muntin screen. The service end room has a plain soffit-chamfered axial beam,
probably C17. In the hall the fireplace is mostly C19 brick and has a C20 oak
lintel. The 3-bay ceiling is carried on soffit-chamfered crossbeams with double
bar-scroll stops. Such detail usually indicates a date well into the C17 for the
flooring of the hall but the double chimney shaft suggests a first floor fireplace
in 1587 unless the plaque was reset in a C17 shaft. No carpentry is exposed in the
inner room and the fireplace here appears to be C19. The joinery detail throughout
is C19 and C20.
Horstone Farmhouse is marked "formerly Higher Pinn" on OS maps. The farmbuildings
to the south-west mentioned in the previous listing have been demolished.
Listing NGR: SY1018086918
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings