This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6377 / 50°38'15"N
Longitude: -3.4618 / 3°27'42"W
OS Eastings: 296726
OS Northings: 83017
OS Grid: SX967830
Mapcode National: GBR P3.6LMY
Mapcode Global: FRA 37MD.555
Entry Name: The Old Jail House
Listing Date: 2 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097679
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85918
Location: Kenton, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6
Civil Parish: Kenton
Built-Up Area: Kenton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Kenton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
KENTON SOUTH TOWN, Kenton
SX 98 SE
The Old Jail House
Former jail-house, subsequently said to have been used as fire station. Early C19,
1980s interior alteration and reglazing. Main block red sandstone ashlar with grey
limestone dressings; end stacks, the left end stack with a stone shaft. The left end
block is rendered and probably brick on stone rubble footings.
Plan: 2 adjoining blocks, the left hand block slightly set back, the right hand block
with a central entrance.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 1:3 bay front, the right hand block symmetrical
with a central C20 timber front door with a rectangular fanlight. Ground floor
window right, converted from a doorway, with a segmental arch with a rusticated
keystone. 2 smaller similar first floor windows and 1 ground floor window left. The
left hand block has one ground floor 2-light window and, in the left return, 1 first
floor and 2 ground floor windows. All windows reglazed with small pane plastic
Interior: Not inspected. .
A lock up house was requested in 1844. In 1849 G. Timewell was appointed
Superintending Constable at a salary of £25 p.a. (D.R.O.).
In spite of the reglazing this is of historic interest as an unusual building type.
Listing NGR: SX9672683017
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings