This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7785 / 50°46'42"N
Longitude: -3.2303 / 3°13'49"W
OS Eastings: 313354
OS Northings: 98384
OS Grid: SY133983
Mapcode National: GBR P8.Q99B
Mapcode Global: FRA 4731.5BC
Entry Name: Schoolhouse Cottages
Listing Date: 27 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097996
English Heritage Legacy ID: 87177
Location: Gittisham, East Devon, Devon, EX14
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Gittisham
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Gittisham St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
GITTISHAM GITTISHAM, (south side)
SY 19 NW
7/175 Nos. 1, 2 and 3 Schoolhouse
Former schoolhouse, converted into 3 adjoining cottages. School established in 1720 by Sir Thomas Putt. Early C18 with substantial C20 alterations. Flint rubble; slate roof, gabled with coping at right end of main range, concealed behind a parapet to the left, hipped at end of rear left wing; axial stack and right end stack to main range.
Plan: Adjacent to the churchyard. L plan, a single depth main range with a rear left wing at right angles. The left hand block was the schoolmaster's house, the right hand block was the schoolroom. 2 entrances on the front. The building has been divided into 3 cottages.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 6-window front with a parapet to left of centre only. C19 panelled front door to left of centre, the top panels glazed; gabled stone porch to right of centre, probably C20 with a half-glazed door. 4 ground floor windows plus a blocked window at the extreme right, 2- and 3-light C20 transomed casements with glazing bars. 5 first floor windows, 2 and 3-light C20 casements with glazing bars.
Interior: Not inspected but may be of interest.
Listing NGR: SY1335098384
Other nearby listed buildings