History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Farmhouse Including Walls to Walled Garden to the South

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gittisham, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7789 / 50°46'43"N

Longitude: -3.2312 / 3°13'52"W

OS Eastings: 313293

OS Northings: 98423

OS Grid: SY132984

Mapcode National: GBR P8.Q91J

Mapcode Global: FRA 4731.50B

Entry Name: Town Farmhouse Including Walls to Walled Garden to the South

Listing Date: 22 February 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1205084

English Heritage Legacy ID: 87179

Location: Gittisham, East Devon, Devon, EX14

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Gittisham

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Gittisham St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Gittisham

Listing Text

GITTISHAM GITTISHAM, (south side)
SY 19 NW

7/177 Town Farmhouse including walls to
22.2.55 walled garden to the south

GV II*

Farmhouse, disused at time of survey (1987) including walls of walled garden.
Possibly of medieval origins, with several phases of C17 and C18 upgrading and
enlargement and very little alteration since. Largely stone rubble, the front right
(north-west) wing cob on stone rubble footings, the cob rendered; thatched roof with
a plain ridge; end stacks and axial stack to main range, lateral stack on east wall
of rear left (south-east) wing, end stack to north-west wing.
Plan and development: The main range, facing north, is a traditional 3 room plan with
a cross passage to left of centre. The position of the axial stack, which heats the
centre room, is unusual in that it does not back on to the passage. There is a
service wing to the front right (north west) at right angles; a parlour wing to the
rear left (south east) at right angles and a truncated service wing to the rear right
(south west). The main stair rises at the rear of the main range, adjacent to the
cross passage in a stair projection off the rear (south) wall. A service stair rises
from the right (west) end room. There is an axial passage to the rear of the centre
room in the main range and along the rear of the first floor, returning at the west
end to link up with the service stair. The evolution of the building is complex. A
change in the level of the first floor and change of plane on the rear wall suggests
the possibility of late medieval open hall origins but the evidence is not firm.
Although there is some darkening of the timbers at the right (west) end of the main
range they do not appear to be definitely smoke-blackened. As far as could be judged
with rather limited access to the apex of the roof the carpentry of all the trusses
in the main range appears to be consistent although some of the cruck feet have been
removed. It seems likely that the main range is either a single build of 1600 (date
over door) or a remodelling at that date of an earlier house. There has evidently
been some rebuilding of the main range at the right (west) end (kitchen), possibly
the end wall and chimney-stack which has a re-sited datestone of 1678 on its renewed
brick shaft. The carpentry details of the roof structure of the front right (north-
west) wing suggest a mid or possibly late C17 date. The next major phase seems. to
be circa 1700-1730, with the addition of a high quality panelled parlour/wing
adjoining at the rear left (south-east) with a small unheated room off it. The main
stair may be co-eval with the parlour, and the very fine mullioned and transomed
windows to the main range could also be part of the same programme of upgrading.
Ovolo-moulded mullioned windows on the first floor may have been re-used at this
date, or some may be rather archaic and used for less important positions.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Fine exterior with an asymmetrical 6-bay (north) front to the
main range with regular fenestration and a 2-storey porch in the 3rd bay from the
left with a hipped thatched roof, 2-panel front door. Above the outer doorway a
small stone plaque has the initials R.S. (Robert Sherman, old list description) and
the date of 1600. The ground floor windows are a fine set of circa 1700 mullioned
and transomed casements with square leaded panes, some retaining original ferramenta.
The first floor windows are probably the same date, 2-light casements with square
leaded panes. The north-west wing projects at the right end, the inner return of the
wing has a 2-light casement with square leaded panes and an unglazed window on the
ground floor. The north gable end wall has a first floor 2-light casement with
square leaded panes and an unglazed moulded mullioned timber window on the ground
floor, the left hand, jamb replaced. The west elevation of the wing has a 2-light
unglazed window and a C19 or C20 plank door. The west gable end of the main range
has 2 first floor 2-light windows with square leaded panes and a small 2-light
chamfered mullioned window on the ground floor. The left return (east elevation) has
one first floor and one ground floor window to the gable end of the main range, both
with square leaded panes. The east elevation of the south east parlour wing has a
small projection, blind on the ground floor with a 2-light timber moulded mullioned
window on the first floor with square leaded panes and a similar first floor window
to the wing, above a transomed and mullioned window matching those on the front. The
lateral stack has a date plaque on the shaft but the date is illegible. The rear
elevation of the main range has one ground floor mullioned and transomed window and 2
to the south end of the wing. The first floor of the main range has 2-light
casements with square leaded panes. A rear door at the junction of the main range
and south east wing has a porch hood on shaped brackets. The south west wing has
been truncated by fire, the inner (west) return has a plank door flanked by casements
and 1 first floor casement.
Interior: Rich in interior features of the C17 and C18. The left hand room of the
main range has a deeply-chamfered, step-stopped crossbeam and a probably C18
fireplace with a rounded fireback. The room to the right of the passage has a C19
tiled chimney-piece. The kitchen, at the right end, has 2 chamfered step-stopped
crossbeam and a massive fireplace with a chamfered stopped lintel (rising behind a
truncated half beam to the ceiling) and 2 bread ovens. The front right wing has
chamfered crossbeams and C18 plank partition wall with the kitchen. The rear left
parlour has a boxed-in crossbeam and good quality C18 wall panelling with fielded
panels in need of repair. Circa early C18 stair with a closed string and slender
turned balusters. On the first floor the left hand room retains an C18 moulded
timber chimney-piece with an C18 iron grate and probably re-used dado panelling, re-
used C18 panelling survives in the room next right, which is unheated and there is
C19 dado panelling to the rear left room with a C19 grate and chimney-piece and C19
panelling the centre room on the first floor. The first floor room in the front
right wing has a chamfered stopped C17 lintel to the fireplace; various probably C18
panelled doors survive on the first floor.
Roof: As far as could be judged on survey the 4 trusses of the main range are of
similar design: cruck construction with several of the cruck feet removed for the
insertion of windows and the stair. The 2 right hand trusses retain their cruck feet
which are plastered-over. The ridge is diagonally-set, the purlins laid on the backs
of the principals which have halved apexes. The timbers over the right end of the
main range are slightly darker than the others, but evidence of smoke-blackening from
an open hall did not appear to be definite on survey. The 2 trusses over the front
right wing have principals halved at the apex and collars lap dovetailed into the
principals. Roof over the rear left wing not seen but the apex of the roof of the
adjoining projection suggests an C18 date.
A high quality building in a prominent position is an exceptionally attractive
village. The house has a good exterior with a fine set of windows, a wealth of
interior features of interest and a plan form unaltered this century.


Listing NGR: SY1329398423

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.