History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boundary Wall Approximately 4 Metres South West of the White Hourse and Adjoining the North East End of Little Orchard

A Grade II Listed Building in Whimple, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7697 / 50°46'10"N

Longitude: -3.3603 / 3°21'36"W

OS Eastings: 304174

OS Northings: 97559

OS Grid: SY041975

Mapcode National: GBR P5.7XT3

Mapcode Global: FRA 37V1.W55

Entry Name: Boundary Wall Approximately 4 Metres South West of the White Hourse and Adjoining the North East End of Little Orchard

Listing Date: 24 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1098083

English Heritage Legacy ID: 86979

Location: Whimple, East Devon, Devon, EX5

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Whimple

Built-Up Area: Whimple

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Whimple St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Whimple

Listing Text

WHIMPLE THE GREEN, (north side), Whimple
SY 0497-0597
10/221 Boundary wall approximately 4
metres south-west of the White
House and adjoining the north-east
end of Little Orchard
GV II

Boundary walls. Dated 1868. Flemish bond and rat-trap bond red brick. Tall
boundary walls alongside the lane between the front and back gardens belonging to
the White House (q.v) returning round to enclose the original property. The section
nearest the front of the house is lower with a crest of cast iron railings. Central
square section gate posts with low pyramid caps and containing original cast iron
gates in the same style as the railings. This wall contains the date 1868 in diaper
work of white bricks. Either side of this section the wall is taller. It is
divided into bays by square section posts with Pyramid caps. These walls are built
of larger than normal-sized bricks and they are laid on their edges. The wall
returns round the original garden property of the house, now divided into the White
House and Little Orchard.


Listing NGR: SY0417497559

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.