History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rydon House

A Grade II Listed Building in Talaton, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7936 / 50°47'37"N

Longitude: -3.3169 / 3°19'0"W

OS Eastings: 307276

OS Northings: 100166

OS Grid: ST072001

Mapcode National: GBR LR.Z7J2

Mapcode Global: FRA 36YZ.TWS

Entry Name: Rydon House

Listing Date: 22 February 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1098104

English Heritage Legacy ID: 86929

Location: Talaton, East Devon, Devon, EX5

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Talaton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Talaton St James the Apostle

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Talaton

Listing Text

TALATON
ST 00 SE
3/173 Rydon House
22.2.55
- II

Small country house. 1822 according to a date in the roof, later C19 service wing.
Stucco on brick; brick stacks with plastered chimneyshafts; slate roof.
Plan: the double depth plan house faces north. It is 2 rooms wide and 2 deep.
There is a front room either side of the central entrance hall and the stairs rise
between the front and back left rooms. The rooms are heated by axial stacks. The
service block is lower and on the left (west) end. It is set back from the main
front and projects to rear. It has a 2-room plan with an axial stack between. The
house is 2 storeys.
Exterior: the main front has a symmetrical 3-window front of original sash windows;
the ground floor ones have 20 panes and the first floor ones have 16 panes. The
central bay breaks forward very slightly above the central doorway. This contains
double doors each containing one upright fielded panel. The fanlight contains a
curvilinear pattern of glazing bars, there are panelled reveals and a flat-roofed
porch with a slightly moulded entablature and Ionic columns. There is a stucco flat
platband across the front at first floor level, a moulded eaves cornice and parapet.
The low pitch roof is made up of 2 parallel roofs hipped each end. The right (east)
front is in the same style and has a 4-window front of ground floor 20-pane sashes
and first floor 16-pane sashes. The rear is plainer and has an irregular 2-window
front which includes 16 -, 20 - and 25 - pane sashes. The service block is lower
and it contains mostly C19 and C20 casements with glazing bars but also the front
end contains a 20-pane sash.
Interior: was not inspected although it is said to include original joinery and
otner detail. Also the owner claims that the date 1822 is inscribed on the roof
structure.


Listing NGR: ST0727600166

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.