This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.79 / 50°47'24"N
Longitude: -3.3235 / 3°19'24"W
OS Eastings: 306805
OS Northings: 99772
OS Grid: SY068997
Mapcode National: GBR LQ.ZKV5
Mapcode Global: FRA 37X0.511
Entry Name: Harris's Farmhouse
Listing Date: 24 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098111
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86944
Location: Talaton, East Devon, Devon, EX5
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Talaton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Talaton St James the Apostle
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 09 NE
6/188 Harris's Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Dated 1876. Local hand-made Flemish bond red brick (in fact many of the
bricks have black patches indicating how the bricks were laid in the clamp kiln);
brick stacks and chimneyshafts; thatch roof.
Plan: the layout is not clear since only the outside of the front was available for
inspection at the time of this survey. It faces south-south-west, say south and
appears to have a 3-room-and-through-passage plan. The left room is probably the
former kitchen with a projecting gable-end stack. Unheated service room (former
dairy/buttery alongside, then the passage and parlour at the right end with gable-
end stack. 2 storeys.
Exterior: is very attractive. Regular but not symmetrical 4-window front of C19
casements with glazing bars. The ground floor windows have brick arches over, the 2
left ones have low segmental arches. The passage front doorway is right of centre
and contains a C19 door. The rear wall includes a Beerstone plaque inscribed with
the date 1687 and the initials of Nicholas and Petranella Harris. Roof is gable-
Interior: was not available for inspection at the time of this survey. However it
is thought to be structurally intact but modernised in the C19. Nevertheless the
parlour fireplace is said to have a richly moulded oak lintel or mantel-shelf.
Harris Farmhouse is a very important early brick building in Devon. There are other
early brick buildings in the area, eg. The Old Manor (q.v) nearby, but they are
grander buildings probably of lower gentry status. This is the earliest dated brick
farmhouse in Devon. Furthermore it is an important component of a very good group
of listed buildings in the vicinity of the Church of St James (q.v).
Listing NGR: SY0680599772
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings