History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mohuns Ottery Gatehouse and Front Garden Walls Approximately 5 Metres South of Mohuns Ottery Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Luppitt, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8438 / 50°50'37"N

Longitude: -3.1528 / 3°9'10"W

OS Eastings: 318930

OS Northings: 105553

OS Grid: ST189055

Mapcode National: GBR LZ.W132

Mapcode Global: FRA 468V.ZFY

Entry Name: Mohuns Ottery Gatehouse and Front Garden Walls Approximately 5 Metres South of Mohuns Ottery Farmhouse

Listing Date: 16 March 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1098265

English Heritage Legacy ID: 86605

Location: Luppitt, East Devon, Devon, EX14

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Luppitt

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Luppitt St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Luppitt

Listing Text

LUPPITT
ST 10 NE
6/52 Mohuns Ottery Gatehouse and front
- garden walls approximately 5
metres south of Mohuns Ottery
Farmhouse
GV II*
Ruins of gatehouse and adjoining garden walls. The gatehouse is mid C16 and built
by Sir Peter Carew, the walls are probably mid C19 (contemporary with the 1868
rebuild of the farmhouse). Local stone and flint rubble with Beerstone ashlar
dressings and detail. Only the bottom stage remains of what must have been a 2 or
3-storey rectangular building on north-south axis. Each end (north and south) are
carriageway arches. They are 4-centred arches with moulded surrounds and spandrels
superbly carved with heraldic devices with Renaissance style foliage and putti and
hoodmoulds. The front doorway is flanked by late C19 cream-coloured brick
buttresses. The side walls are blind although there is a patch of blocking on the
west side which might represent a blocked doorway. A mass of masonry against the
east wall may represent a stair. The gatehouse is roofless.
The path from the gatehouse to the farmhouse is lined by mid C19 low stone rubble
walls and there is a mounting block on the outside of the west wall. From each side
of the front of the gatehouse are similar garden boundary walls.
This gatehouse was probably built by Sir Peter Carew (1512 - 75) who died on the
Mary Rose.


Listing NGR: ST1893005553

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.