This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8404 / 50°50'25"N
Longitude: -3.1591 / 3°9'32"W
OS Eastings: 318482
OS Northings: 105184
OS Grid: ST184051
Mapcode National: GBR LY.WCH7
Mapcode Global: FRA 468W.92D
Entry Name: Barn and Outhouse Adjoining South-East of Pound Farmhouse
Listing Date: 16 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1168133
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86610
Location: Luppitt, East Devon, Devon, EX14
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Luppitt
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Luppitt St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 10 NE
6/57 Barn and outhouse adjoining south-
- east of Pound Farmhouse
Barn and adjoining outhouse. The barn was built circa 1670 - 90 and the outhouse
was built shortly afterwards. The barn is cob on tall stone rubble footings lined
with C17 brick internally and with some Beerstone ashlar dressings; the outbuilding
is English bond brick on local stone rubble footings with Beerstone ashlar
dressings; both have corrugated iron roofs, they were formerly thatch.
Plan: Pound Farmhouse (q.v), the outhouse and barn form an L-plan with the outhouse
projecting at right angles to rear of the left (south-west) end. This outhouse
connects the barn and farmhouse and although it is the same width and same axis (if
somewhat lower) as the farmhouse it faces north-east (the back of the farmhouse).
The barn was built at the same time as the farmhouse but the small 1-room plan
outhouse connecting them was added later, probably in the early C18. It is 2
Exterior: the outhouse has a 1-window front. The ground floor window is an early
C16 oak 2-light window with Tudor arch headed lights and moulded surround and,
although it is unglazed, it contains its original iron stanchions and saddle bars.
This window is believed to have come from the nearby farmhouse Mohuns Farmhouse
(q.v). The doorway alongside to left has an oak frame with a slightly cambered head
and chamfered surround. At first floor level is a C19 casement with glazing bars.
In the C20 the barn was altered by removing much of the house side (north-west) and
right gable-end (north-east) walls. The long wall facing south-west originally had
a large full height central doorway onto the threshing floor but this was blocked in
the C19 and replaced by a slightly smaller doorway to the right and this contains
C19 double doors. The south-west end contains an original doorway and window
embrasure and the roof this end is hipped.
Interior: the outhouse has plain carpentry detail including large reused axial
beams supporting the loft floor and an A-frame roof truss with lap-jointed collar.
The barn was part-floored, again with reused timbers. The original 5-bay roof
largely remains and it is carried on side-pegged jointed crucks with pegged
dovetail-shaped lap-jointed collars.
Listing NGR: ST1848205184
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings