This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8442 / 50°50'39"N
Longitude: -3.1527 / 3°9'9"W
OS Eastings: 318936
OS Northings: 105594
OS Grid: ST189055
Mapcode National: GBR LZ.W12Y
Mapcode Global: FRA 468V.ZH2
Entry Name: Cider House Approximately 1.5 Metres North of Mohuns Ottery Farmhouse
Listing Date: 16 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1168093
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86606
Location: Luppitt, East Devon, Devon, EX14
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Luppitt
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Luppitt St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 10 NE
6/53 Cider house approximately 1.5
- metres north of Mohuns Ottery
Cider house incorporating part of the Tudor manor house. Mid C16, rebuilt in mid
C19, probably with the 1868 rebuild of the farmhouse. Local stone and flint rubble
with some Beerstone ashlar quoins and dressings; stone rubble stack topped with C20
brick; slate roof.
Plan and development: 2-room plan former cider house facing south towards the back
of the farmhouse (q.v). The smaller room at the left (west) end has a gable-end
stack serving an enormous fireplace which includes a large C19 oven and base for a
washing copper. In fact this fireplace is mid C16 and its quality suggests it
derives from a high status room. This suggests that the cider house incorporates
some of Sir Peter Carew's mid C16 house but it was massively rebuilt in the C19.
There are haylofts over both rooms.
Exterior: there are 2 ground floor doorways, the larger one (to the larger room) is
roughly central and there is another into the bakehouse near the left end. Both
contain plain plank doors. Both doorways and the window towards the right end have
flat arches over. A former hayloft loading hatch over the bakehouse doorway has
been converted to a window. The roof is gable-ended.
Interior has plain C19 carpentry detail. The dividing wall between the 2 rooms and
the right (east) end wall are lined with very early brick (probably C17 but maybe
C16). Surely these are reused. The fireplace is full width and all stone ashlar
with an elliptical head and moulded surround. There is a relieving arch above.
This cider house apparently incorporates a high status fireplace from the manor
house built by Sir Peter Carew (1512 - 75) who died on the Mary Rose. It also forms
a group with the C19 farmhouse (q.v) and ruins of the C16 gatehouse (q.v).
Listing NGR: ST1893605594
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings