History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Poltimore House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Poltimore, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.758 / 50°45'28"N

Longitude: -3.4649 / 3°27'53"W

OS Eastings: 296767

OS Northings: 96400

OS Grid: SX967964

Mapcode National: GBR P2.CRSJ

Mapcode Global: FRA 37M2.PY5

Entry Name: Poltimore House

Listing Date: 11 November 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1098310

English Heritage Legacy ID: 88466

Location: Poltimore, East Devon, Devon, EX4

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Poltimore

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Poltimore with Huxham

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Poltimore

Listing Text

SX 99 NE POLTIMORE

5/154 Poltimore House
-
11.11.52

- II*
Mansion of the Bampfylde family (after 1831, Lords Poltimore). Mainly late C16,
late C17, C19 and a western range of 1908, with internal decorative schemes.
Stuccoed, the whole building including moulded stonework painted white, with
slate hipped roofs. An L-shaped Tudor house now forms the rear and east ranges
of a large mansion that has undergone considerable expansion, enclosing and
ultimately almost completely filling an internal courtyard. The front block was
built by Sir Coplestone Bampfylde (d.1691; built possibly in 1681, the date
inscribed on a gatepier to the estate). In the mid C18 the salon was
redecorated; other principal rooms were refurbished in the later C18, and the
Hall in the early C19. Also in 1908, a new range was attached to the left-hand
side of the building. 2 storeys throughout with the exception of a service wing.
Exterior. Front. The original 11-bay front remains much as it appears in Edmund
Prixeaux drawing of 1735. Central 3 bays project slightly. All corners with
rusticated quoins; pilasters mark each bay; plat band, moulded cornice and
parapet. 9 dormer windows just visible above parapet which have since lost their
gables. 2 axial stacks. All stacks are now rendered and capped. Original
entrance arrangement has lost its architrave and is obscured by porch of 1831
with 2 Doric columns in antis. This porch has had a circa 1970 glazed screen
inserted. Extending to the left of this range is the 2-bay addition of 1980, set
back slightly, its parapet marginally higher, also treated with rusticated
quoins. All windows with timber hornless sashes, 9-panes above 9 panes to each
window above, the lower window sashes with 2 panes and margin panes, the
glazing hand range: 7 bays, treated as front; and of the same date, and
marking the Tudor work. 2 panes to each sash, plus margin panes to
ground-floor windows; 3 panes to upper and 6 to lower sscheme of 1831,
(4 panes and margin panes with horns to C19 extension). Right- ashes of
first floor windows. 6th and 7th bays occupied by a C19 singled storeyed
extension, rusticated quoins, with a sash window to either end, 2
blocked windows to the side. Rear range: 3 separately gabled Tudor bays
which form a 7 window range, sash windows inserted, sashes hornless, 2
with 12 panes to each sash; 2 with 12 above, 8 below; 4 with 6 per sash;
but retaining original 3-light 4-centred headed windows in gables, jambs
and mullions, stone, with cavetto mouldings, some lights retaining
leaded panes, 28 to each light in the left-hand gable, 8 to the others,
all with cames. To the right of the Tudor range the elevation is taken
up with 2 wings, one of 2 storeys and another of one. Left-hand
elevation: C19, 7 bays; sash windows, 2 panes per sash to first floor. 4
panes above and 2 below to ground floor. A single- storeyed rear
extension treated with rusticated pilaster buttresses. C19 outbuildings
all with wavy bargeboarding. Late C17 or C18 rainwater heads to main
range. Internal courtyard, elevation of Tudor range; one 3-light window
(as to rear elevation) in a gable wall with mullions and transoms; angle
stair-turret, late C17, polygonal, with two 3-light windows to basement,
1 to ground floor, 2 to first floor and 3 to attic; 10 leaded panes per
light with cames. Interior: (described in chronological order). Internal
Tudor work has been removed except for one internal stone 4-pointed arch
chamfered with pedestal stops. Sir Coplestone Bampfylde's great rear
open-well staircase runs through 3 floors from basement to attic:
square-profile newels with moulded caps surmounted by balls, and
pendants, with turned balusters. The north-east C19 vestibule contains
what is supposed to be a copy of a C17 plaster ceiling in the adjoining
room, but possibly surviving under present false ceiling. Original C17
roof to south range survives (Mercer). Roccoco salon, perhaps of the
1740s, occupies 4th part of right-hand side, possibly occupying the site
of the Tudor Hall, is an interior of high quality : ceiling with central
sunburst (containing female face), with foliage surround with swirls and
herons; oval wall mirrors between windows with foliage and heads; end
panelled doors with moulded architrave, egg and dart motifs and
modillions to cornice, with broken pediment; side door similarly treated
but with no pediment; 2 large mirrors to inner walls with festoons and
cherubs' heads; white marble chimney piece with wooden surround on
scrolled brackets with centrally placed ram's head. Dining Room and Red
Lounge: (flanking entrance hall), the former with Adam decorative style
plaster and woodwork detailing and ceiling with roundels and corner
panels containing classical scenes. 2 fluted columns and moulded
cornice. Lounge rather less elaborate, with 2 composite columns, and
marble fire surround. Early-C19 Hall still entered through C18 door with
fanlight; 2 rows of Ionic columns cross hall at foot of Imperial stairs
with metal openwork balusters. Corinthian columns and pilasters to
landing. 1908 Banqueting Hall and other principal rooms with
neo-classical detailing, the Banqueting Hall quite elaborate in its
detailing, with rich plaster cornice and marble fire surround. The whole
of the parapet has been covered in bitumen as has the slating over the
C16 work. The front roof may have been raised and the side roof is
covered in various rooflights and solar panels. Historical note: the
treaty for the surrender of Exeter (April 1646) was negotiated at
Poltimore House. References: the best account is by Eric Mercer (RCHM),
1978. A full history is J Fortescue-Foulkes, Story of Poltimore House.


Listing NGR: SX9676796399

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.