History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Poltimore Gardens

A Grade II Listed Building in Poltimore, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7585 / 50°45'30"N

Longitude: -3.4682 / 3°28'5"W

OS Eastings: 296538

OS Northings: 96463

OS Grid: SX965964

Mapcode National: GBR P2.CQWM

Mapcode Global: FRA 37M2.NN4

Entry Name: Poltimore Gardens

Listing Date: 11 November 1952

Last Amended: 20 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1098311

English Heritage Legacy ID: 88468

Location: Poltimore, East Devon, Devon, EX4

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Poltimore

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Poltimore with Huxham

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Poltimore

Listing Text

SX 99 NE POLTIMORE

5/155 Poltimore Gardens
- (formerly listed as Stables with
11.11.52 Poltimore House)
- II

Former stables to Poltimore House. Mid C19. Coursed random rubble volcanic trap
with slate hipped roof. 3 ranges of a quandrangular courtyard plan, with a wall
to the house (south-east) side on the site of the entrance range. Range opposite
entrance of 2 storeys, side ranges of one. A separately roofed loggia affronts
the 3 surviving ranges, supported by cast iron columns, with formerly ceiled
wagon roof, the plaster now fallen off. Original C19 3-light casement windows
with upper lights and various entrances to all ranges. Opposite main entrance is
a stone-arched access to stables proper; these retain their pointed planked
doors, and 4 pairs of stalls, matchboarded below, with metal posts above, with
finials. Upper sash windows of 4 panes above 8 panes to front and rear of main
range, C19 and C20, to light dwelling, with brick voussoirs and jambs. A
complete brick paved yard laid to fall to cast iron pump in centre. When this
building was listed (with Poltimore House) in 1952, it retained its entrance
range, with rusticated arch, architrave, clock tower and leaded cupola, but
sufficient good-quality work survives to warrant its retention on the list of
protected buildings.


Listing NGR: SX9653896463

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.