This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7936 / 50°47'36"N
Longitude: -3.4531 / 3°27'11"W
OS Eastings: 297681
OS Northings: 100339
OS Grid: SS976003
Mapcode National: GBR LK.Z90R
Mapcode Global: FRA 36NZ.VZD
Entry Name: Chapel of the Holy Evangelists
Listing Date: 20 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098332
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88414
Location: Broad Clyst, East Devon, Devon, EX5
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Broad Clyst
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Broadclyst St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 90 SE BROADCLYST KILLERTON PARK
2/101 Chapel of the Holy
Former private chapel of the Acland family, now a chapel of ease within Broadclyst
parish. Plans of 1838; executed 1840-1. C R Cockrell for Sir Thomas Acland.
Built by Hooper of Exeter. Stone carving by Samuel Stead of Ludlow. Volcanic trap
ashlar (Killerton stone) with fishscale slate roof. A single-cell building with
shallow east apsidal sanctuary. Nave of 4 bays each divided externally by
pyramidally capped buttresses, with projecting angle turrets on all 4 corners, the
arrises with chamfers and attached shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, the upper stages
(above parapet level) with 3 narrow round-headed openings to each side, and slated
pyramidal caps and crocketed finials. A substantial battered wall plinth surrounds
the entire building.
West front: 2 stages and gabled-end wall; a central round-headed doorway of 2 2
orders with cushion capitals all in white stone separately gabled, stands forward of
the plane of the lower stage; first stage itself slightly recessed and dominated by
a wheel window, its surround of 2 orders (zig-zag and cable moulding), with one
round-headed niche to each side; small round-headed window in gable wall; apex
crowned by stone cross.
Side elevations: 2 stages, the upper stage recessed (as front) with 1 large, round-
headed 1-light window to each bay, all of 2 orders with a variety of zig-zag,
diamond and bead moulding to south side only (the north window surrounds being
unembellished). Corbel table and parapet.
East end: shallow apse with 2 tiers of round-headed openings, each under
superordinate arches, with pilaster buttresses between.
Interior: 7 bays to nave; timber barrel vault, the principals coming well down
side walls, resting on stone cushion corbels to either side of windows and at the
level of the capitals to the internal shafts of the window arches which are deeply
recessed, and decorated with a variety of Transitional motifs. Internal hood
moulds. Corbel table runs below wall plate. Corbels to roof principals themselves
rest on shafts that are brought down to break the cornice of the dado which is an
arcade of intersecting arches. Tall chancel arch of 2 orders. One tier of windows
to apse, with shafts carried down to ground, and a frieze of zig-zag. The whole
interior is of white stone. Stone flags, and geometric designs to sanctuary floor.
Furnishings: a good and complete set, contemporary with chapel. Wood seating in 3
tiers; arranged in Collegiate fashion; stalls at rear, each under separate gable,
the central one taller and wider with reading desk. Stalls returned at west end.
Front benches open-backed. West gallery (now an organ gallery). Stone altar table
with Romanesque detailing designed and made by Arthur Acland-Troyte. Some bright
coloured glass in west window; side windows with patterned glass designed by Dean
Liddell. East windows with Evangelists, 1905. An important church built when
Cockrell was 'at the height of his powers as an architect'. The patron decided that
it should be a copy of the chapel of St James at Glastonbury, a building Cockrell
considered to be the best of its date in England. It turned out to be a fairly
free, but archaeologically extremely careful, copy of the model, the major deviation
being the west wheel window (based on Barfreystone), inserted after Cockrell's
consultation with leading figures associated with the Rundbogenstil. The external
detailing appears to be completely intact and the Chapel is sited in a landscape of
mature trees. Sources: David Watkin, The Life and Work of C R Cockrell (1974),
particularly pp. 178-81. The Acland-Cockrell correspondence is in D.R.O.
Listing NGR: SS9768500341
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings