This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1343 / 52°8'3"N
Longitude: -2.2995 / 2°17'58"W
OS Eastings: 379593
OS Northings: 248492
OS Grid: SO795484
Mapcode National: GBR 0FH.1G1
Mapcode Global: VH92Z.3M55
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 25 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098739
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153392
Location: Newland, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR13
District: Malvern Hills
Civil Parish: Newland
Built-Up Area: Great Malvern
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: The Beauchamp Community Extra Parochial Place
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
NEWLAND CP -
SO 74 NE
5/76 Church of St Leonard
Church. 1862, by P C Hardwick. Snecked limestone rubble with tile roof.
Comprises a nave, north-porch, lower chancel, south chancel aisle under a
pitched roof and south-east tower. The nave has windows of two trefoiled
lights under a pointed head with quatrefoil. On the north side are two;
on the south side three. Rose window in west wall. The gabled and buttressed
porch has inner and outer doorways which are moulded with angle shafts. The
north wall of the chancel has two windows similar to those of the nave.
To the east it has a window of one trefoiled light. The east window is of
three lights with Geometrical tracery. The south chancel aisle has rose
windows in its east and west walls. The tower has a lower stage of square
plan which is broached to an octagon and is capped by a short crocketted
spire with lucarnes. The bell openings are trefoiled, with a trefoil under
a pointed head. Interior: walls are covered by a complete scheme of painted
decoration which includes biblical scenes in red outline. At the west end is
an elaborate gabled and corbelled oriel opening from the adjoining former
infirmary. The nave roof has side purlins, rafters with soulaces and collars,
and trusses of similar pattern. The rafters and boards have stencil decoration.
The chancel arch is moulded and pointed and has corbelled marble shafts on
responds. The pulpit incorporates a carved alabaster figure of Christ. The
drum-shaped font has a band of dog-tooth ornament and a marble base. The
chancel screen is of iron on a stone base. Between the chancel and the south
aisle is a four-bay arcade of paired marble columns. To the east are triple
gilded and canopied sedilia and a piscina. The walls of the chancel incorporate
marble panels. The floors are covered by encaustic tiles and the windows contain
contemporary glass. (BoE, p 223).
Listing NGR: SO7960448490
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings