This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1341 / 52°8'2"N
Longitude: -2.3003 / 2°18'1"W
OS Eastings: 379539
OS Northings: 248462
OS Grid: SO795484
Mapcode National: GBR 0FH.18N
Mapcode Global: VH92Z.2MRC
Entry Name: Gatehouse and adjoining range on north and west sides of courtyard at Beauchamp Almshouses
Listing Date: 25 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098740
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153394
Location: Newland, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR13
District: Malvern Hills
Civil Parish: Newland
Built-Up Area: Great Malvern
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: The Beauchamp Community Extra Parochial Place
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 05/03/2019
SO 74 NE
Gatehouse and adjoining range on north and west sides of courtyard at Beauchamp Almshouses
(Formerly listed as Gatehouse and adjoining range on north and east sides of courtyard at Beauchamp Almshouses)
Gatehouse and almshouses. 1862-64 by P.C Hardwick. Brick with limestone dressings and tile roofs. The tower is of rectangular plan and has clasping buttresses and a parapet with blind tracery decoration. Its south wall has a moulded pointed doorway. Above are two tall narrow lights and a clock face. A steep slated pavilion roof is set back behind the parapet. Two chimneys with rubbed brick caps to right.
The almshouses have mullioned windows, mostly of three lights, with flush stone sill bands, and with blank trefoiled heads on the ground floor. The first floor windows project upwards into gabled dormers. To the right of the tower are two bays, with a pointed doorway between them. To the left are five bays with wide pointed doorways between the first and second, and the third and fourth. Above the doorways are timber dormers of two lights under a pyramid roof. A more irregular house with a single-storey lean-to links this range to one on the west side of the courtyard. This is similar except for a doorway to the right. C20 bathroom additions link this to a further range at right angles, facing south. This is of four bays with doorways and dormers to each side of the two centre bays. Adjoining to the west is a later addition dated 1889, of two bays in a similar style. The chimneys have gauged brick shafts of rubbed brick in a variety of patterns.
Listing NGR: SO7953948462
Other nearby listed buildings