This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1341 / 52°8'2"N
Longitude: -2.2994 / 2°17'57"W
OS Eastings: 379606
OS Northings: 248460
OS Grid: SO796484
Mapcode National: GBR 0FH.1JB
Mapcode Global: VH92Z.3M8D
Entry Name: Warden's Lodge, Boardroom, Chapel, Library and Attached Buildings to East of Courtyard at Beauchamp Almshouses
Listing Date: 9 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1349271
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153393
Location: Newland, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR13
Civil Parish: Newland
Built-Up Area: Great Malvern
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: The Beauchamp Community Extra Parochial Place
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
NEWLAND CP -
SO 74 NE
5/77 Warden's Lodge,
library and attached
buildings to east of
House, boardroom, library and chapel. 1863 and later, by P C Hardwick.
Brick with limestone dressings and tile roof. The warden's lodge is of
two storeys. At the left it has a canted bay window, with a 3-light window
on the first floor under a gable. To the right is a cross-wing with a square
bay window on the ground floor and applied timbering to the gable. In the
middle is a gabled timber window on the first floor and a doorway with shouldered
head and three lights over. Chimney, to left, and to left of cross-wing, with
rubbed brick shafts of various descriptions. Adjoining to the left is the
gable of the boardroom, which has a window of three trefoiled ogee lights
with flat head and reticulated tracery. At the left is a single-storey link
to the Church of St Leonard (qv). It has three windows of two lights and two
of three lights, with moulded timber mullion. The door, to the right of the
first window, has a pointed head, carved spandrels, and flanking lights with
tracery. Projecting from the east wall of this range are the library and chapel.
The latter is timber-framed and is constructed from part of the old Church of
St Leonard which was demolished in 1864. It has timber windows of three tre-
foiled lights in its east and north walls. The east gable has a truss with
curved braces to a cambered tie-beam, and a king-strut between tie-beam and
collar. Interior: chapel has two roof trusses with tie-beam and raking struts.
Boardroom has false hammerbeam roof on corbels, with arch-braces to embattled
collars. The fireplace is carved with foliage and has an overmantel with a
moulded border to a painting. (BoE, p 223).
Listing NGR: SO7961148450
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings