This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1253 / 52°7'30"N
Longitude: -2.2865 / 2°17'11"W
OS Eastings: 380484
OS Northings: 247477
OS Grid: SO804474
Mapcode National: GBR 0FH.QQR
Mapcode Global: VH92Z.BV24
Plus Code: 9C4V4PG7+4C
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 25 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098776
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153380
Location: Madresfield, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR13
Civil Parish: Madresfield
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Guarlford and Madresfield with Newland
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
MADRESFIELD CP -
SO 84 NW
6/65 Church of St Mary
Church. 1866-7 by F Preedy, incorporating some material from previous church
of 1852 by Edward Welby Pugin. Snecked sandstone rubble with bands of red ashlar and tile roof. Comprises a nave, north-west tower with spire, south porch, lower
chancel, and north transept. The three-stage tower has bell openings of two
trefoiled ogee lights under a pointed head with trefoil. The clock, in the
middle stage, has a stone face. The west doorway is moulded and pointed, with
gabled surround. The ribbed stone spire is set back behind an embattled parapet
and has 2-light lucernes. The west window of the nave is of three trefoiled
ogee lights with Geometric ,tracery under a pointed head. The north wall of
the nave is of two bays and has windows of two and three trefoiled lights with
pointed heads: the former has flowing tracery. The north window of the transept
is of two trefoiled lights under a pointed head with quatrefoil. The chancel
north window is of one trefoiled light with a trefoil below the pointed head.
The south wall of the nave is of two bays and has windows of two and three tre-
foiled lights with Geometric tracery. In the south chancel wall are two windows
of two trefoiled lights with flowing tracery. The east window is of three cusped
lights with Geometric tracery. The porch has a coped gable with cross finial
and a pointed doorway moulded in two orders with angle shafts. The caps are
carved with leaves and flowers. The inner doorway is also moulded and pointed,
with foliated caps to the angle shafts. Interior: nave roof trusses of pine rise
from carved corbels. They have short king-posts and raking struts above collars,
which have short straight braces to the principals and larger curved inner braces.
The pointed chancel arch is moulded in two orders, the inner one having corbelled
responds and the outer one angle shafts with foliated caps. Wall painting surrounding the arch was added in 1894. An oak rood screen is carved with tracery decoration. The chancel windows have marble inner shafts. The east wall has stencilled and painted decoration. The chancel roof, re-used from Pugin's church, has archbraced collar trusses and curved wind-braces. Part of the reredos also came from the earlier church. Against the west wall of the nave is a memorial by Countess Gleichen to the Hon Edward Hugh Lygon and the Hon Richard Fitzroy Somerset, who died in South Africa in 1900 and 1899 respectively. It comprises a bronze frieze of figures in relief between mosaic bands, linking canopied figures of Obedience, Fortitude, and Loyalty. (VCH, Vol 4, p 121).
Listing NGR: SO8048447477
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings