This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1251 / 52°7'30"N
Longitude: -2.2808 / 2°16'50"W
OS Eastings: 380873
OS Northings: 247463
OS Grid: SO808474
Mapcode National: GBR 0FJ.L6B
Mapcode Global: VH92Z.FV37
Plus Code: 9C4V4PG9+3M
Entry Name: Madresfield Court, Including Bridge, Retaining Wall and North Service Court
Listing Date: 25 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098779
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153385
Location: Madresfield, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR13
Civil Parish: Madresfield
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Guarlford and Madresfield with Newland
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
MADRESFIELD CP -
SO 84 NW
6/70 Madresfield Court,
25.3.68 retaining wall and
north service court
Country house. C16, on earlier moated site with later additions.
Extensively restored, rebuilt and extended 1866-88 by P C Hardwick.
Brick with stone dressings and tile roof. Entrance front is approached
by C16 or C17 brick bridge. Four gabled bays were raised by one storey
to four storeys in 1885. The two central bays project. Windows are
mullioned, with transoms on the ground and first floor. At the left is
a fifth gabled bay, canted back to follow the course of the moat and of
two storeys with attic. The west side of the house contains servants'
rooms and includes glazing bar sashes. On the north side a service court
including a game larder and brew house was added in 1870 and connected to
the main house by a covered bridge over the moat. To the right of the
entrance front is the two-storey canted bay window of the library, with
the south wall of the chapel to its right. The east side of the house has
a variety of bay windows and gables. Parallel with the projecting chapel,
at the north end of the east front, is the north-east wing containing the
drawing room and music room, on the site of C18 extensions. Near the junction
with the main house is a timber bellcote with fleche added in 1875. A retaining
wall follows the line of the moat to connect the chapel with the north-east wing.
In the centre of the house is a courtyard. On the south side is a wall of stone
tracery with double doors opening into the dining room. The other elevations
are elaborately timber-framed, with jetties on the west and north sides and an
east gallery. The paving has inlaid pattern and a date "1888". Interior: the
staircase hall of 1913 has three glass domes. The stair, and galleries on
two sides, have carved newels and irontwist glass balusters. The dining room,
on the site of the great hall, has a false hammerbeam roof and a chimney piece
with re-used C17 woodwork. On the first floor the long gallery on the east
side of the house is on the site of the Elizabethan gallery and contains re-set
panelling of the period and a chimneypiece of 1610 removed from a farmhouse.
The first floor room over the entrance has an original plaster frieze and a
ceiling in three panels, and another bedroom has a ceiling of shallow pitch,
with vine, rose and acorn ornament in an ogival pattern. The Japanese Bedroom
and an adjoining bedroom have Deuxieme Empire panelling added in 1874. The
library contains woodwork by C R Ashbee and the Guild of Handicraft, including
two doors, and bookstack ends carved with the Tree of Life and the Tree of
Knowledge. The Chapel has a complete scheme of Arts and Crafts decoration,
carried out from 1902 until 1923. Murals in tempera by Henry Payne show
Lord and Lady Beauchamp and their family. The reredos is by W H Bidlake,
the panels and altar frontal by G M Gere, and glass quarries by M Lamplugh.
(Country Life, October 16, 1980; October 23, 1980 and October 30, 1980).
Listing NGR: SO8086847504
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings