This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1016 / 51°6'5"N
Longitude: 0.3934 / 0°23'36"E
OS Eastings: 567664
OS Northings: 136312
OS Grid: TQ676363
Mapcode National: GBR NRN.XZ5
Mapcode Global: VHJN3.RKTW
Entry Name: Stair House
Listing Date: 10 October 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1099224
English Heritage Legacy ID: 170042
Location: Lamberhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Lamberhurst
Built-Up Area: Lamberhurst
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Lamberhurst St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
LAMBERHURST SCHOOL HILL
8/205 Stair House
House, now flats. 1889 by Christopher and White, architects ( B.O.E. Kent, I, p.364).
Red brick on sandstone base and tile hung with some exposed framing with plaster
infill. Plain tiled roof. Picturesque 'Old English' style after the fashion of R.
Norman Shaw. Main block to right of two storeys and attic on plinth with projecting
and jettied gabled wing to left, 2 gabled dormers and large offset and moulded
stack projecting at right, with similar moulded ridge stacks to left and to centre
left. Full height half-octagonal bay to centre left and 3 light casements to right
on each floor, and 2 and 4 light casements to left hand gable, with mullioned and
transomed stone window on ground floor and boarded door in recessed four centred
arched doorway. Oriel and irregular casements to right return. Two storey section to
left, possibly a later extension, or else part of the service quarters differentiated
externally, with jetty and with bargeboarded gables and oriel on first floor, and
bay on ground floor, with one storey and attic linking block. Irregular extensions
and wings to rear. On the site of the ancient Stone House where the manor courts of
the holdings of Robertsbridge Abbey in Lamberhurst were held. See J.H. Moon, The
Listing NGR: TQ6766436312
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings